1:48 scale kits are getting too pricey!

Yeah, the prices just keep getting up there but add in insane shipping at times and it's even worse. A while back I was going to order a couple kits from OldModelKits. Total was $102 for the kits and $105 for shipping. I fail to see any justification for that insanity.

I've been buying kits at antique malls for decent prices. The kit I'm currently building is a 1967 Inpact Gloster Gladiator. Decent kit, much better IMO than the follow ups by Lindberg and Pyro. Paid $5 for it and vendor had several other brands, mostly 1/48th scale for $5-12 each. Good hunting.
This is a good idea! I am pretty new to this hobby, and I enjoy a lot of the newly engineered kits. But I bet I could find some nice Tamiya's from the 90's for cheap

Is that kit a limited edition or something special?

I'm stuck on the clear-propeller for a Sabre part.

Is that kit a limited edition or something special?

I'm stuck on the clear-propeller for a Sabre part.
I think that all Clear Prop kits are some sort of limited edition. They don't have as much reach as some of the larger companies. There are ton of sprues in that kit

I received the email below from Airfix.UK a few weeks ago on Aug 14.
Seems like there was an Airfix kit price increase in late spring of this year so the US customers may have already been affected by this.
At least it was nice of Airfix to let customers know about prices going up ;^)
Lately I've been buying Airfix kits that are still at the "lower" prices while they're still available.

An Important Message for Our Loyal Customers
As one of our valued customers, we wanted you to be one of the first to know that we are adjusting our prices from 1st September 2024.
As business costs and inflation have risen over the past two years, we have worked hard to find ways to absorb these costs and avoid having to pass them on to our customers. Despite facing challenging times, we have not had any major price changes since January 2022, but unfortunately, the time has come to update our product prices.
We know this is disappointing, but it is essential for us to be able to maintain the high-quality research, design and manufacturing processes that we pride ourselves on. We are looking at each product individually, so price changes will vary.
But here's the good news: you can still grab your favourite items at their current prices. Place your pre-orders or in-stock orders by 31st August to lock these prices in before they go up.
What's more, you don't have to worry about any pre-orders you have pending – we will honour these at their current price.
Thank you for your continued support!
Olly Raeburn
CEO

$75.99 marked down from $95?! Look I have paid $55 for an Arma Hobby 1:48 kits, but this feels like an escalation. That is a lot of money for this scale.
https://spruebrothers.com/clpcp48024-1-48-clear-prop-models-f-86a-sabre/https://spruebrothers.com/clpcp48024-1-48-clear-prop-models-f-86a-sabre/
Blame it on Bidenflation

On serious note…
I never shop at spruebrothers - too expensive. Half the time when Ifind something I need/want, they're out of stock. Gave up on them a long time ago.

My go-to online hobby shop has been Scalehobbyist for several years. Great prices and cheaper than most competitors. Not to mention fast delivery. At least they have a "Notify Me" button feature if they're out of something in stock. You'll get an email when it's back in stock. Spruebrothers doesn't have that feature nor does any other online hobby stores.

Another great feature of Scalehobbyist has is if you see a product you want for future purchase, you can save that item onto your watch list. Of course, you have to create an account for both of those features. Well worth it.

My second go-to online hobby shop would be Hobbylinc and/or eBay.

On serious note…
I never shop at spruebrothers - too expensive. Half the time when Ifind something I need/want, they're out of stock. Gave up on them a long time ago.

My go-to online hobby shop has been Scalehobbyist for several years. Great prices and cheaper than most competitors. Not to mention fast delivery. At least they have a "Notify Me" button feature if they're out of something in stock. You'll get an email when it's back in stock. Spruebrothers doesn't have that feature nor does any other online hobby stores.

Another great feature of Scalehobbyist has is if you see a product you want for future purchase, you can save that item onto your watch list. Of course, you have to create an account for both of those features. Well worth it.

I do use Scalehobbyist as well. They did not have this in stock when I checked. Sprue Brothers usually have good stock in aftermarket, which is why I use them. But I also use Ebay a lot.

On serious note…

I am fortunate enough have a local model shop that competes well on price. Usually their price is better than most online retailers if you add in shipping to online cost. It is literally a mom and pop shop. They are very friendly and helpful.
https://modelcave.com/index.html/

Local hobby shops are a treasure. I had a shop nearby although the owner and his Wife closed it upon retirement a couple years ago. Not a huge place although it had the basics and more. I can't say I've come across any online place that's quick to ship. My best option is a large shop although it's 90 miles away round trip.

Latest posts

Back