A Guy Walks into a Bar.

OldManModeller

Circa 2010;

Well, actually, I walk into a swap meet at a VFW, (Veterans oF Foreign Wars), not a bar. Sorry.

Anyway, I walk the few aisles at the VFW swap meet and meet a bearded man selling model kits. And he was also selling space to sellers and takers at a small price to a model swap meet and wargamers show. Which was to take place a few months later.

We spoke a bit and I said that I have some kits to sell. His eyes grew dark, then they shown like a star. He said, "What have you got"? I said, "Mostly 1/35th WWII stuff, Dragon, Tamiya, etc, etc. And a couple 1/6th scale kits as well". I asked what the buy-in would be to have a sales table. He asks, "How many kits are we talking about"? I says: "About (50) 1/35th, and (2 ) 1/6th. A few 1/48th and 72nd and an odd 1/56th scale or two. Maybe 100 kits in total".

So, the man signs me up for a sales table at his up-and-coming model kit and wargamer show, as a seller with a table. I pay the man in cash, ask for a receipt, (never got one), and I go on my way. It was only $50. He says, "I'll remember you brother"

I say "Semper Fi" and go on my way.

Anyway.

Marking my phone calendar with the model show date. I get home and tell the wife that I am going to a plastic model show as a seller and I can unload some of these kits that I will never build. I am getting old.

I was excited also, because I used to wargame in 1/285th scale, WWII era, and I have been too busy living life with the wife and kids to wargame much since I married and had children. And a mortgage or two. And debt. Heck, I want to experience a wargamers show. And I have some kits in the stash to unload because life is too short to build a kit that you don't think that you will ever actually build.

The novelette, but true story continues... With GI Joes and lots of beer...

Until next time, Be well. Model on.

Eric

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back