Airbrushing a Model ?

hooterville75

Can someone correct me if I have any steps out of sequence ?

1. Pull kit out of box and wash with soap and warm water. Let air dry or dry with hair dryer.
2. Sand with ???? grit wet/dry sandpaper.
3. Mist coat with gray primer.
4. Sand with ???? grit wet/dry sandpaper.
5. Second coat of gray primer.
6. Sand with ???? grit wet/dry sandpaper.
7. If body color is any other then a dark color, final coat of WHITE primer.
8. Sand with ???? grit wet/dry sandpaper.
9. Mist coat with main color.
10. Sand with ???? grit wet/dry sandpaper.
11. Second coat of main color.
12. Sand with ???? grit wet/dry sandpaper.
13. Final coat of main color.
14. Coat with Future floor polish.
15. Sand with ???? grit wet/dry sandpaper.
16. Polish

Am I correct with my sequences ? If not could someone please give me a starting foundation of the steps to painting a model and what grits of what product I need to sand with between each and every coat. Thanks for your help.

Really depends on the model and what paint you are using.

I generally only put one coat of primer, and I don't sand it before the color coat, unless it is unusually rough.

If I am using one of Vallejo's colored primers, which is basically a 2n1 product, gives you a primer for your kit, and is the base color all in one, and saves alot of steps, then continue on with other colors if needed.

Your process you are describing would probably be good for nice shiney paint jobs on a car, but you can eliminate alot of the steps if you aren't going for a gloss finish.

Build model, paint it.

On a typical plastic kit, I never give a bath and rarely use primer.

The only sanding you need to do is the seams. (I use primer to check seams sometimes.)

Alot of sanding going on there...Gundumhead has pretty much got the process right.. just have at it ! I've also read that model require washing but have never done this step, a quick wipe with isopropyl before painting will clean the surface and get rid on any oils that might affect your paint job. Ive never sanded between coats but I do use 2000 grit wet and dry for final sanding of seams or any areas that have needed cleaning up. This grit is fine enough to be covered by any susequent coats of paint

Latest posts

Back