Airfix 1/72 P-51D

hooterville75

Is this the new Airfix P-51 Mustang kit you were talking about being a good start kit ? If so I'm interested in purchasing one. Let me know. Thanks.

Hey there Hooter,

Honestly I haven't seen it yet, I had brought in 8 of them a week ago and they flew out of here faster than the real aircraft I think.

That being said, it is a new tooled kit from Airfix, and their newly tooled stuff over the last year or so have been quite nice kits.

I have the Mk22 Spitfire, and it seems to be very nice. And really for the money, you can't go wrong with them.

While I haven't seen the Airfix kit, I think the Tamiya kit will still be a better kit. The cockpit detail is great for a 1/72 scale and the kit literally falls together with no gaps anywhere.

Hey hooterville75, I wouldn't be so worried about which is "the best" kit. Everyone you ask might give a different opinion...

Here's my advice if you're just starting out; check out a few online review (Hyperscale, ARC, some of the IPMS sites and of course this forum are a good places to start). Then pick a kit that most reviewers comment is good (fit wise) and inexpensive. Then build it. You don't want to be stressing about "ruining" an expensive uber kit, you want to be enjoying just building, and trying out new techniques (which may or may not work) and finding that sweet spot of what works for you.

In general Airfix, Revell and Hobbyboss "Easy kits" are less expensive. Tamiya, Hasegawa and Eduard more expensive. Every manufacture has some great kits depending on what you are looking for. They also have some "bad" kits too.

For example; lots of people rave about Hasegawa, but I'd rather buy an Airfix or Revell before Hasegawa. I've got in my collection five1:72 Hasegawa kits, all where considerably more expensive than similar offerings from other manufacturers. Four out of those five Hasegawa kits turned out to be junk (for the money) in my mind: thier MiG 17, MiG 21, F-105 and the MiG 25.

Hope this helps.

Hooterville,
Great handle by the way.
I have heard nothing but great reviews about this kit.

@ Jason. That MiG 17 has all of 20 parts? That baby
was cutting edge, when it came out. Lol the only other
one was the Frog kit, if you could find it

PharmPony said:
While I haven't seen the Airfix kit, I think the Tamiya kit will still be a better kit. The cockpit detail is great for a 1/72 scale and the kit literally falls together with no gaps anywhere.

Of course the Tamiya kit is probably a "better" kit, but the new Airfix one looks to be no slouch either....and considering the price of it, approx. $20-$25 for the Tamiya kit vs $6.50 for the Airfix kit.

Is the Tamiya one better detailed? Probably.

Will the Tamiya one have more parts, and fall together easier? Probably.

But at about 1/3 the cost of the Tamiya kit, the Airfix one isn't a bad choice. This isn't your Grandpappy's Airfix kit from years gone by!

Peppylepugh said:
@ Jason. That MiG 17 has all of 20 parts? That baby
was cutting edge, when it came out. Lol the only other
one was the Frog kit, if you could find it

I had bought a recent re-re-release. That would have been fine with me if it had been priced like a kit from 1905 era mold, but it cost more than some of the new mold Airfix stuff. I have no issue building an older kit, I just don't like it when an older kit is re-issued as a "Limited Edition". I'll know better next time.

Share the secrets Pharmpony because when it comes to being cheap, im the cheapest in the industry lol. Have to be in my situation lol.

PharmPony said:
I've never paid more than $10 for a Tamiya 1/72 P-51D.

That's a good price. I just took a look at the prices on Spruebrothers and Squadron;

Academy P-51s in 1:72 scale between $7 and $14 USD.
Airfix P-51 in 1:72 scale about $7 USD.
Tamiya P-51 in 1:72 scale just under $20 USD.

(plus taxes and shipping)

Elm City Hobbies said:
PharmPony said:

Of course the Tamiya kit is probably a "better" kit, but the new Airfix one looks to be no slouch either....and considering the price of it, approx. $20-$25 for the Tamiya kit vs $6.50 for the Airfix kit.

Is the Tamiya one better detailed? Probably.

Will the Tamiya one have more parts, and fall together easier? Probably.

But at about 1/3 the cost of the Tamiya kit, the Airfix one isn't a bad choice. This isn't your Grandpappy's Airfix kit from years gone by!

Latest posts

Back