Anyone ever give a military model a crazy colored paint job?

Cave_Dweller

I've always kind of wanted to see a M1A1 or any kind of armor painted fire engine red or something wild and outrageous--painted and weathered to as high a standard as is given to the traditional colors. Yes, it may seem blasphemous to do so but it would be fun and something completely different. Maybe something I'll try someday.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of stuff?

Our local shop has a Panzy wagon. Purple, pink, peace signs... And a big flower in the barrel of a T-62.

But the coolest was the Velicoraptor Nazi crew trying to cook the kitten riding in a Tiger I. Complete with frying pan. 8) But they were painted normal Nazi scheme.

I have seen some "Racing" tanks

Take a tank and paint it and decal it up like your favorite Nascar driver!! LOL

There are real ones around the globe, painted colorfully for different reasons.

There is a Russian T-34 'monument' in London that is painted differently every few years, it's had camouflage in shades of pink for a peace theme, it once had the barrel painted like a cigarette with the hull covered in smoke for an anti smoking message and now I believe it's painted like a yellow taxi .

The New Jersey national guard has a tank at the gate in red, white and blue. A modeler just built a scale version of this on Missing Lynx

I believe the there is still a pink Russian tank in Prague.

Not sure about doing a wacky colored armor piece, but I have a aircraft that I want to do up in the colors of an early 80s F1 car using an Esci Fiat G.91 and spare decals from an old Protar Ferrari 126C2.

ScaleModelMadman said:
There are real ones around the globe, painted colorfully for different reasons.

There is a Russian T-34 'monument' in London that is painted differently every few years, it's had camouflage in shades of pink for a peace theme, it once had the barrel painted like a cigarette with the hull covered in smoke for an anti smoking message and now I believe it's painted like a yellow taxi .

The New Jersey national guard has a tank at the gate in red, white and blue. A modeler just built a scale version of this on Missing Lynx

I believe the there is still a pink Russian tank in Prague.

ive never seen this monument and i lived in london for years is this fairly new?

spud said:
ive never seen this monument and i lived in london for years is this fairly new?

No, it's been around since the end of the war to my knowledge, somewhere in south London. The paintings however have been going on since at least 2006 if not earlier.

Here's some pics of when it was pink (ignore the graffiti) the 'smoking gun' and then the most recent to my knowledge, the checkered cab...

[attachment deleted by admin]

damn that should be moved to bovington, it looks like its hidden away in some estate also

Cave_Dweller said:
I've always kind of wanted to see a M1A1 or any kind of armor painted fire engine red or something wild and outrageous--painted and weathered to as high a standard as is given to the traditional colors. Yes, it may seem blasphemous to do so but it would be fun and something completely different. Maybe something I'll try someday.

Has anyone ever seen this kind of stuff?

Good Morning ("morning" at lest here) to you all...

Man, I think you´ve hit the pot.

More or less I had a similar idea: after watching one of the espisodes of my favourite ANIME series (COWBOY BEBOP), one in wich Spike or somebody (I can´t remember well who was) were "fighting" in some planet of the Sol System, I saw them firing good ol´( ;D ) H&KG36 in a planetary desertic environment.

... Then I had the "idea" more or less of what you´ve suggested: I thought that it could be feasible / cool to take either a Chally-2 or a Leo 2E6 (those two AFVs along with any T-80 covered with reactive armour are the ones that I like more for those purposes) and paint it "Martian Red", weaterizing it accordingly to the environment...

The same more or less for any modern troops figures: colors accordingly to camo schemes of imaginary "distant" planets.

Well, that was a more or less "similar" idea to the one you´ve launched, I think.

In modelling, comparing the balance between "strict fidelity to historical reality" and "artistic / imaginative modelling"... I think I´m more or less on a 40 / 60, favouring the second "style"...

I think that the possibilities are almos endless... and this is a HOBBY just to enjoy (at least for me ;D )

Cheers, guys
RG

Jelly said:

Good Morning ("morning" at lest here) to you all...

Man, I think you´ve hit the pot.

More or less I had a similar idea: after watching one of the espisodes of my favourite ANIME series (COWBOY BEBOP), one in wich Spike or somebody (I can´t remember well who was) were "fighting" in some planet of the Sol System, I saw them firing good ol´( ;D ) H&KG36 in a planetary desertic environment.

... Then I had the "idea" more or less of what you´ve suggested: I thought that it could be feasible / cool to take either a Chally-2 or a Leo 2E6 (those two AFVs along with any T-80 covered with reactive armour are the ones that I like more for those purposes) and paint it "Martian Red", weaterizing it accordingly to the environment...

The same more or less for any modern troops figures: colors accordingly to camo schemes of imaginary "distant" planets.

Well, that was a more or less "similar" idea to the one you´ve launched, I think.

In modelling, comparing the balance between "strict fidelity to historical reality" and "artistic / imaginative modelling"... I think I´m more or less on a 40 / 60, favouring the second "style"...

I think that the possibilities are almos endless... and this is a HOBBY just to enjoy (at least for me ;D )

Cheers, guys
RG

Absolutely. It's ultimately a hobby with no rules, you can do whatever you want. That being said, I understand no one wants to screw up the look of a very expensive model kit on a whim.

Latest posts

Back