As a Whole

hooterville75

As a whole, when talking about Paints to everyone it seems that a couple people seem to have there own strong pros of each particular paint with great results but in the end it seems as a whole everyone either reverts back to recommending Vallejo or Tamiya paints for shooting through the airbrush. If I had to pick one that's recommended the most I would have to go with Vallejo.

I believe since I have the good bit of Testors Enamels and Acrylics in the 1/4 oz bottles that I have (approx 60), I'm going to keep playing with these paints to see if I cant get these down to a T. I also have some cheap cheap Wally World paint in a few colors in the aerosol can that I'm having good results with as well. I think when it comes to paint that the best way to do it is get a general opinion from a few and use that as a starting point as it all boils down to what you yourself can do with what paints. Its a game of figuring it out with your equipment to what works for you.

I do have a question though with the paint that I got. I have a couple of brand new sets of Testors paints in the 1/4 oz bottles that are brand new so I know they are good. My main question is that some of the paints are very old. I'm saying at least six or seven years old. They separate but yet mix up perfectly when stirring the bejeebers out of them. Do I hesitate on using these or just chuck them ?

My other question is this. I have a Nascar kit body that went bazonkers because of two areas on the body that didn't work properly when painting originally. There are a few areas that did work well. When I experiment or get ready to paint a kit, instead of testing the paint I use on a spoon, could I use it on this body that went bazonkers ? Being that its primed and already has two or three coats of paint on it, will that hinder the results of the new paint going on ? Or would I be better off sticking to the spoons ? I hate to throw any paint away but I would rather throw a bit of paint out and save the frustrations at a later time by possibly ruining another kit.

Thanks for any advice or recommendations in advance.

Paint separates....just a nature of the beast, which is why you shake, or stir them up before use, so re-homogenize the carrier/thinner with the pigment.

No reason you can't use an old body to test paint on, however keep in mind that the last color you put on the body, is going to effect how the next color will look.

You want to do a test with it....take 3 spoons, paint one with grey primer, one with black primer and one with white primer. Once they are dry, paint all 3 spoons with the same color coat and let dry. You will see a distinct difference in the the shade/hue of the color coat, despite using the same color coat on each spoon....this is because the primer effects the shade/hue of the color coat.

Latest posts

Back