Basic modeling setup?

Ian

Been looking though SMA for the past week and wanted to get a few pointers.

Essentially I've decided to build again after maybe 20 years or so of absence (I was a huge Tamiya kit fan in my early teens) and am looking for advice on what I might need to start. My workbench is empty apart from a Porter Cable 150psi compressor (that I bought when building my house) and a few left over X-ACTO handles.

So far I've come up with:
  • Tools - X-ACTO blades, knippers, tweezers etc.
  • Glue - Tamiya Extra Thin Cement (DreamKnight was using this in his great "TAMIYA F4U-1A CORSAIR 1/48" video build)
  • Airbrush - Badger 105 Patriot maybe? Can't remember what I used previously.
Would love some advice on:
  • Paints - what I might get initially and where I might get them. No hobby shops near me unfortunately.
  • Brushes - a good starter set of sizes
  • Anything else (which I'm sure is a lot!)

I would say a lot depends on what you want to do...

I have a view that sometimes, the less you have the better so you have to get on with something rather than establishing a collection of every possible tool anyone has ever used. (guilty to a certain extent :-[ )

hmm lets see.

Paints, Vallejo/Tamiya or what ever floats yer boat

Blades,
Saw,
Scriber,
cutters,
small sicors,
pliers,
cheap brushes,
some good brushes,
Glue of choice
Super glue
tooth pics
blue tac or similar
thinners for your paint
dremil.
low tac masking tape. like tamiya tape
clamps
tweezers, You will need more than one kind

Airbrush i would recommend the Badger Krome as you more control with this, Get it from AK usa as its Cheap there,

im sure there is loads more but that will give you an idea of some things to get hold of

In terms of tasks... you'll need to:

Remove part form sprue (sprue cutters, xacto, No. 11 blades, No. 17 perhaps)
Clean up part (sandpaper, several grits, sanding stick)
Assemble parts (glue, tamiya extra thin)
Primer (Vallejo, Rattle can)
Paint (Vallejo, Tamiya, Model Flex, etc... / airbrush (thinner, compressor etc...) - random assortment of paint brushes)
Decals (microsol, microset...Qtips)
Weather (pigments, oil paint, AK Interactive stuff)

Plus, some making tape, tweezers, toothpicks, paper towel - gloss, stain or matte clear.

That would get you going for sure.

Ah, perfect. So nice to have a concise list that I can work from. Thank you.

Yep I think you got a good list there. It's one of those things with this hobby, some of us like to collect weird tools that will be helpful once in a while ;D

Ravhin said:
Yep I think you got a good list there. It's one of those things with this hobby, some of us like to collect weird tools that will be helpful once in a while ;D

Indeed. I have a few...

If you're just getting started...then just get started. Lots of time for gadgets.

Latest posts

Back