Decals Warm vs Cold water

hooterville75

Is their a proper method for the water you dip your decals in ? Ive been told prior warm water is the way to go. Today while finishing up the decals on the current kit I was building, I tried the method another used stated putting a bowl of water in the microwave for three minutes, letting cool till I could dip my finger in it without getting scalded. I did this allowing the decal to soak for a minute, pulling it out and applying the decal.

The decals would twist and turn folding that it was impossible to get the decal applied appropriately without damaging the decal somehow. The water then cooled and eventually got cold. I seemed to have a ton better luck with cold water verses the Hot/Warm water. I seem to have better control of the decals in cold water. I may have to soak the larger decals for a longer period of time but I still seemed to have more control of the decals.

Am I doing something wrong with the warm water method or is it a matter of preference to each builder ?

Hi, Hooterville, how long did you leave the decals in the water? Do they have any instructions printed on the back of the sheet, or in the instruction sheet for the kit?

Every sheet of decals I have ever worked with instructed me to use warm water; I have never seen an instruction to use cold. Not to say that it's not possible, just that I have never seen instructions to use cold water.

Also, most instructions direct us to leave the decal in the water for a few seconds, which should be enough for the adhesive to soften and for the decal to slide off the sheet. If they lift off the sheet in the water, you've left them in too long. If the decal twisted, it could be that the decals themselves are crap. I had a similar experience with the decals for ICM's P-51B in 1/48. The decals curled and twisted, especially the smaller stencils, and the kill markings, which consisted of 2 pieces. I had to use a paintbrush to get the decal flat and oriented correctly, and I gave up on most of the others, because it wasn't worth the effort.

What's the make of the kit you're building, and are you using the kit decals, or did you get a sheet from another source? Those details could help us tell more about what's happening.

Been using room temperature water straight from the tap for years.
Let it sit for a couple of minutes.

I rarely leave the decal in the water for more than 20 or 30 seconds.
I also let it sit on a paper towel for a few seconds before going to apply it to the model

warm water just releases it quicker, all i do is Dip it in the water and take it out and put it to one side after 20 seconds or more it will be ready.

Room temp for me too, although I have read that warm water is 'better'.

Putting it in the microwave for three minutes seems a bit overkill, more like the instructions for like cup'o'soup. ;D

I use room temperature distilled water, or deionized water if I have any on hand. If you use warm water make sure it's not hot or you may be in hot water as the decal adhesive may completely dissolve. I've also added a tiny bit of white glue to the water for those decals like Academy's that just don't want to stick.

i use warm water from the tap cold works too but once you go warm youll never go back!!!

For long decal session i use an old chocolate fondue has my water bol with the lit candle. keep water at perfect temp for hours!!

Ken Abrams said:
Putting it in the microwave for three minutes seems a bit overkill, more like the instructions for like cup'o'soup. ;D

Please don't misunderstand me, guys, I'm not saying I use boiling water, I just nuke it, then let it cool. It's probably warmer than warm water from the tap, but it's not too hot for me to dip my fingers in it.

I'm with you on the time to soak them. It's just seconds, just about enough time for the paper to get soaked and discolor. I also use a pair of tweezers to pick up the decal, hold it under and extract it, and then to hold it close to the model's surface. I usually use a paintbrush to slide the decal off, and to apply more water, or Future, if necessary. I have some brushes dedicated for decaling.

the Baron said:
Ken Abrams said:

Please don't misunderstand me, guys, I'm not saying I use boiling water, I just nuke it, then let it cool.

Baron, I was referring to the original post, he mentioned three minutes in the microwave.

hooterville75 said:
I tried the method another used stated putting a bowl of water in the microwave for three minutes...

;)

Ken Abrams said:
the Baron said:
Ken Abrams said:

Please don't misunderstand me, guys, I'm not saying I use boiling water, I just nuke it, then let it cool.

Baron, I was referring to the original post, he mentioned three minutes in the microwave.

hooterville75 said:
I tried the method another used stated putting a bowl of water in the microwave for three minutes...

;)

I asked for advice and it was mentioned by someone else that they nuke it for three minutes and let cool enough to touch. I didnt mention about microwaving water so it wasnt in the original post. It was in a reply to my question.

hooterville75 said:
I didnt mention about microwaving water so it wasnt in the original post.

Hooter, it is in your original post on this thread, I even quoted you.

I don't know where the 'original' post you are referring to is, I have only seen this thread...

I do this all the time I start another thread and then the someone responds and we get to talking about the same thing in another post. Someone else mentioned that they use a microwave for three minutes and then let stand till its touchable and apply. Bottom line, its not a good idea I guess. Who cares. I was just looking for advice as to why my decals may have did what they did. Long as everyone's technique works for them thats all that matters.

the Baron said:
Ken Abrams said:

Please don't misunderstand me, guys, I'm not saying I use boiling water, I just nuke it, then let it cool. It's probably warmer than warm water from the tap, but it's not too hot for me to dip my fingers in it.

The Baron, Is who I got the idea from and if it works for him so be it. Thanks to all for the advice. Im going to try another method this kit so we shall see. Its fun regardless so thats all that matters.

hooterville75 said:
I do this all the time I start another thread and then the someone responds and we get to talking about the same thing in another post. Someone else mentioned that they use a microwave for three minutes and then let stand till its touchable and apply. Bottom line, its not a good idea I guess. Who cares. I was just looking for advice as to why my decals may have did what they did. Long as everyone's technique works for them thats all that matters.

Well, there's no need to get defensive, I was merely trying to clarify.

Perhaps staring new threads all the time isn't the best idea, as it leads to confusion, which can be seen by the last few posts. If you want to continue a conversation about a topic, simply re-post to that 'original' thread and it 'bumps' to the top. Sometimes people miss a thread and it gets buried, bumping it might get their attention.

;)

Well, actually. We were talking on another thread about another topic and in the midst of conversation this decal method was mentioned. I then had a decal problem and started this thread looking for clarifications on what the problem might be to where I mentioned I tried the microwave method that was mentioned on the other thread. Again regardless one technique may work for someone while not another so in the end the finished product is what matters. :) Thanks for the help all.

Interesting. I've always used warm water, but find that it becomes a race against time to get the decal out before it comes off it's paper backing. I've found that with room temperature, it takes a bit longer, but if that's the only drawback, that's what I'm going to do in the future.

So even with the confusion of this thread, it's still helped me out. :)

Ken Abrams said:
the Baron said:
Ken Abrams said:

hooterville75 said:

;)

Understood, but he got that from me, I mentioned that in a reply to one of Hooterville's other threads, in which he asked about processing decals; he's got a couple of threads going. But correct, I didn't tell him to nuke the water for 3 and then use it, but to nuke it and let it cool till you can dip your finger in without scalding yourself.

I always use warm water with a spot of (one spot), of washing up liquid,
the decals seem to stay more 'slidy' because of the Washing up liquid.

Never had a problem

Gag

The Nylon Gag said:
I always use warm water with a spot of (one spot), of washing up liquid,
the decals seem to stay more 'slidy' because of the Washing up liquid.

Never had a problem

Gag

That's a good idea, the drop of dishwashing liquid. I sometimes use Future, though not in the soaking water, I'll brush a little on the spot where the decal goes.

Latest posts

Back