Double Victory: The Tuskegee Airmen at War

B

Black Sheep 1

Hey guys, if you get a chance to get the Red Tails BD-DVD combo set, check in the EXTRAS section the documentary Double Victory: The Tuskegee Airmen at War.
Very well done with a lot of info and footage of the Red Tails.

Cool. Gotta rent that. Just been checking out a model of one of those in the final contest pics. Tres nice.

Yeah, I bought the combo a few weeks ago... Really tempted to build a few Red Tails myself now, definitely a P-51D, and possibly a P-51C and P-40 Warhawk too.

I was impressed with the CG in the movie, but beware, most of the markings in the movie were fictitious, not just the Mustangs, if they had used actual 332FG noseart, they might not have gotten away with the pg rating. And I am not aware of any yellow nosed Me262s either, I could be wrong, but I believe the yellow cowls were not used after the Me109Fs.

Carsenault said:
Yeah, I bought the combo a few weeks ago... Really tempted to build a few Red Tails myself now, definitely a P-51D, and possibly a P-51C and P-40 Warhawk too.

I was impressed with the CG in the movie, but beware, most of the markings in the movie were fictitious, not just the Mustangs, if they had used actual 332FG noseart, they might not have gotten away with the pg rating. And I am not aware of any yellow nosed Me262s either, I could be wrong, but I believe the yellow cowls were not used after the Me109Fs.

A lot of the visuals ( and sounds) in the movie were used with some degree of artistic license for the audience's benefit.
The yellow nose on the Germans was to identify Pretty Boy's plane.
And if you noticed the Me 109's sounded like turbo props!

I'd sure like to find some book that depicts the Tuskegees marking for all their aircraft.
I know B.O. Davis's Mustang was called By Request.
I've never seen a set of decals for his bird though.

Also a lot of dogfighting elements were taken from stories of other ww2 pilots. The "special move" that Lightning learns from german was actually performed by a pilot that wasn't part of Tuskagee Airmen, can't remember the name sry - if you are interested you can watch it on Youtube in History Channels show called Dogfights...

But it's a good movie - 2h of pure entertainment (to me at least)...

EDIT: Found it Dogfights P-51D Mustang part 5

Jeeves said:
There is a book featuring some of the schemes....

http://www.amazon.com/332nd-Fighter-Group-Tuskegee-Aviation/dp/1846030447/ref=cm_lmf_tit_24

Warbird Decals also had a couple sets of Tuskegee schemes in both 1/48 and 1/32...might be able to pick them up on eBay...I did a review a while back and got a couple sets from them...

AWESOME!
Thanks Jeeves, I just ordered it.
Now, after I'm done eating my home made Chili (something every modeler should do every now and then) I'll go surf Ebay and see what I can find.
;D

Well I'll be darned!
I went into Ebay and did a search for 1/48 Tuskegee decals and the first thing that pops is a set with the marking for By Request!
and it had the Buy It Now option....I bough t it!
;D

That's great! I think the Accurate Miniatures Tuskegee P-51 might have also had them...

If you need any information or resource help, I'll be glad to assist. One of my wife's patients was an Airman and after meeting with him a few times in town, I offered to build him a model of his P-51. I bought up a ton of research books when I was doing it. He served in the 99th which was technically the squadron featured in Red Tails...although I didnt see even one blue and white checkered nose in the movie...ah well...it was still enjoyable!!

Sadly, Lt. Col. Clarence Dart passed away this past Feb...he is the one farthest to the left:

3fd13ac7.jpg

f2d15523.jpg

Scott, if you are referring to the Dogfights - there is whole series, P-51, P-47, Desert Storm etc... Just look it up on Youtube, they are great! :)

did you ever get around to building it for Him Jeeves ?

Hey spud....

Yeah...it was an Aires cockpit set with a mix of the Tamiya and ICM kits and some custom decals...this was probably 8 years ago...gave it to him later that summer on a big PSP base since he was stationed in Capodochino (?) Italy which was pretty muddy...I can still remember the big smile he had on his face :)

Jeeves said:
That's great! I think the Accurate Miniatures Tuskegee P-51 might have also had them...

If you need any information or resource help, I'll be glad to assist. One of my wife's patients was an Airman and after meeting with him a few times in town, I offered to build him a model of his P-51. I bought up a ton of research books when I was doing it. He served in the 99th which was technically the squadron featured in Red Tails...although I didnt see even one blue and white checkered nose in the movie...ah well...it was still enjoyable!!

Sadly, Lt. Col. Clarence Dart passed away this past Feb...he is the one farthest to the left:

3fd13ac7.jpg

f2d15523.jpg

Jeeves, thanks for the offer.
I will definitely will be calling on you if I get stuck.

Thanks for poijnting out the feature. My son got me the DVD for Father's Day.
Now I have more reason to watch the other disk

Jeeves that's Awesome Man that put a smile on my face Well done,

Latest posts

Back