Votes: 18 14.4%
  • 3 yrs - 5 yrs

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • 5 yrs - 10 yrs

Votes: 11 8.8%
  • More than 10 years

Votes: 71 56.8%

• Total voters
That's a trick question, you just want to make fun of the oldies ;D ...I've been modelling since the seventys .

Chris.

Kind of a tricky question though isn't it?

I built my first model somewhere around 1987 when I was 7 or so but took a long break till now. Does that mean I'm in the 10+ year category or ?

Im with Chris. Started in the early 70's as well, when I got a 1/72 Sabrejet as a Christmas gift, mainly to keep my little hands off of my older brothers models. I then gave it up in high school to pursue 2 legged models. Then started over in 1990 when I found a 1/24 scale Tamiya Ferrari Testarossa, my dream car at the time. I havent stopped for more than a few months since then.

Hi Zemmix - I would say or....

I did the same as you but have only been back at it since '09, so I'm like 3 years really into the hobby.

i put in 6mth - years but before that 15 or so year break i was building them since i was 6ish till i was around 23/24 years old

Dad used to build them, which he got me into it at about 6yrs old or so, so probably 35yrs give or take.

Started out building cars (as that is what Dad built) and then ventured into everything else eventually.

I built 3 1/24 cars about 5 years ago and then took a loooong break. I picked it back up again in October of 2011 and been going strong ever since. I consider myself 6 mos to 2 years.

Great topic Scott!

I've built my first models when I was 7 - both my grandmas decided to present me a model kit on my 7th birthday, so after having no stash at all and even knowing nothing about scale modeling I've suddenly turned into a "stash-keeper" ;D That was some Mig fighter with a chengable geometry of the wing, and the Ka-50 "Black shark" copter (that was a very cool model, I do think I'm going to build one some time) both by Zvezda. I've built them in a way many newbies do, especially in this age and without any guidence from bigger modelers (my pawas always more into RC aircrafts, and that has little to do with scale modeling; but he showed me the very basics, so in the end the result was not an absolute crap) - I did have several fingerprints of glues on the hulls, and they had been proudly presented unpainted :)
Anyway, the hobby didn't attract me too much, and I remembered about scale modeling only in 2007. At that time I've got a Revells snap-together Obi-Wan's Eta-2 Jedi Starfighter. I've been crazy about Star Wars since 6, but never new there were scale models of sci-fi vehicles (they are starting to become popular in Russia only recently, and mainly due to several young modelers like me. In local hobby shops you still can't find aything except real-life models, and only Revell's SW series can be found in toys shops).
I really enjoyed the several minutes of puting that ship together, and started to gather other vehicles which were available at that time (oh, how proud I was of the Revell's Millenium Falcon I've built OOB. I thought it had a top notch detailing...now I know better ;D).
Anyway, I've been long gathering slooowly entering the world of sci-fi modeling and scale modeling as a whole, and it really turned out a huge surprise for me, when I've counted for this topic, that actually I'm addicted for the hobby for 5 years already! So, my choice was 5-10 years.

I glued kits together as a kid but I would hardly consider that "in" the hobby. Bought a couple kits and some basic supplies back at the end of 2008 and have been hooked ever since, so almost 4 years. I would say acquiring my first airbrush really sealed the deal for me.

Same as Mr N. I "built" a few kits when I was a young teenager, but never put much thought or effort into them. I didn't even paint them!!

I found one of said kits in my parents attic back in March last year and decided to build it up properly. I'd say I've been 'in' the hobby ever since. :)

Biskup said:
Well for more than 10 years. I hope I will have a time to finish them some day ;)

........So does Spud ;D ;D ;D :-X

Chris.

I put 2 years because I've been into the hobby for 2 and a half years :p
First kit was a Fine Molds 1/72 Tie Fighter bought for me as xmas present by GF and I was hooked. Started watching Scott's vids and thought wow this guy looks like David Brent (no offence Scott!) loves star wars and builds kits of X-Wings! And then I was hooked on this site and met you lovely lot ;D

I've been building models since I was a kid about 8 or 9, I'm now just turned 44.

Back then models were a big craze, all my mates made them, I rememember sitting out my mates back garden putting transfers on a RAF Red Arrows Hawk.

The models I used to have that have sadly gone were all the Airfix Dinosaurs, Eagle Transporter, Shorts Sunderland 3, Steve Austin (neighbour brought that one back from a trip from USA), loads of Star Wars models, Blue Tunder, 1/24 Spitfire & Messerschmitt bf 109.

I used to build them then think about painting them....badly (nothings changed)

I also think Scott looks like David Brent (Ricky Gervias)....sorry Scott

rickyscott.jpg

I had been a member and a poster on the Starship Modeler site, but after visiting here because of the joint MF group build, I really have to give all credit to you guys for driving me on

J

Jaitea said:
I've been building models since I was a kid about 8 or 9, I'm now just turned 44.

Back then models were a big craze, all my mates made them, I rememember sitting out my mates back garden putting transfers on a RAF Red Arrows Hawk.

The models I used to have that have sadly gone were all the Airfix Dinosaurs, Eagle Transporter, Shorts Sunderland 3, Steve Austin (neighbour brought that one back from a trip from USA), loads of Star Wars models, Blue Tunder, 1/24 Spitfire & Messerschmitt bf 109.

I used to build them then think about painting them....badly (nothings changed)

I also think Scott looks like David Brent (Ricky Gervias)....sorry Scott

rickyscott.jpg

I had been a member and a poster on the Starship Modeler site, but after visiting here because of the joint MF group build, I really have to give all credit to you guys for driving me on

J

I always thought he was the long lost brother of Zac Brown from the Zac Brown Band, toque included!

Side By Side comparison? Got to be separated at birth, and Scott is also a musician...coincidence? I think not!

cma-09-zac-brown-ap.jpg
5048.jpg
sma-3-3-09.jpg

Ricky Gervias...classic photo shop!
I put down 3-5 years even though I too have built on and off during the prior millennia. Definitely more into the hobby as I'm getting older. I think I'm developing more patience but not so much skill. Oh' wait...patience is learned through life. There's a point in there somewhere. We'll go 3-5 years and leave it at that.

Latest posts

Back