KP Models Avia BH-3

BGilbertSound

Here's a look at my latest, the 1/72 Avia BH-3 from KP Models. This is a rather old kit, as you can probably tell from the yellowed decals. It went together fairly well. This is a part of my "beater" series... old, less expensive kits that I can mess up without losing any sleep if/when I do. No interior to speak of, raised panel lines, etc.

I really like the less commonly seen aircraft subjects, like this one. No rigging or windshields means a fairly fast build

This is finished entirely with craft paint, with the exception of the metallic, which is Model Master- a real shame about them stopping production. One of my little side interests is getting decent finishes from craft paint, rather than dedicated model paint. I enjoy coming up with my own thinners, blending my own shades, etc. It doesn't look bad when shot through an airbrush... I only brush paint the small details- the exhaust in this case. Craft paint doesn't look so hot when brushed, especially large areas, though several very thin coats can work OK. AviaBH3-1.jpgAviaBH3-2.jpgAviaBH3-3.jpgAviaBH3-4.jpg

Looking at the photos I realize I should've added some dirt stains where the wheels would have slung mud on the underside of the wings. A little too much dirt overall... I use Tamiya panel liner and it was hard to get it balanced where it would not be TOO much, but also not wipe completely away. I have a tough time with this in 1/72. Better next time, maybe.

Latest posts

Back