Mixing for a Copper color

Motoretrolia

I'm looking for a burnished Copper color and while I don't have the specific color in my inventory, I have quite a few assorted Tamilya Acrylic and Model Master's Enamel and Acrylic colors. Any clue to what I can mix to achieve something close? TIA, G.

Mix burnt sienna and cadmium red light to make the base copper color.
If you don't have those colors then you can use orange and brown to get copper.

I have something close, I'll give them a try, thanks.
No Hobby shop within 80 miles and online is painfully slow at times along with too much $shipping.

I'll second the burnt sienna

I used a thinned glaze of that color to get the coppery look for these pipes (I wanted an in scale dull old copper look so I did not actually want to use metallic paint)

1725893533307.png

Last edited:
I'll second the burnt sienna

I used as a thinned glaze of that color to get the coppery look for these pipes (I wanted a dull old copper look so I did not actually want to use metallic paint)

View attachment 124335
That looks very authentic, thanks for the pic. The color I need is for a pair of exhaust pipes on a Gloster Gladiator. In my mind this would look comparable to what you've done with heat effect, discoloring and possible moisture markings.
Testors in small square bottle has Copper at Hobby Lobby
I had a bottle of this although discovered it was pretty glossy, too much for my purpose. I tried it on the prop tips and it didn't fit the rest of the plane. I'm going to redo these also once I get something either mixed up or purchased.

That looks very authentic, thanks for the pic. The color I need is for a pair of exhaust pipes on a Gloster Gladiator. In my mind this would look comparable to what you've done with heat effect, discoloring and possible moisture markings.

I had a bottle of this although discovered it was pretty glossy, too much for my purpose. I tried it on the prop tips and it didn't fit the rest of the plane. I'm going to redo these also once I get something either mixed up or purchased.
Not sure exactly what brand/kind of paints you have another thing you could try might be a reddish brown (chestnut?) ink wash over a steel color

In my case, on my 1/72 Sea Dragon exhaust tube (or whatever the technical name is) I used P3 Brown ink (which is actually a very red/chestnut color more so than brown) and Army Painters strong tone wash over Army Painter Durasteel (although any mid range silverish/steel color would work. )
1725965571539.png1725965673152.png1725965791038.png
You theoretically could take the same approach with washes/glazing using similar acrylic paints you have (not sure about enamels). The "glazing" technique is like staining more than a wash that settles into low areas. I do it by mixing in some glaze medium (Vallejo). Inks just make it easier
here are some shots in different lighting of the effect. I also did it in several thin coats. Hard to tell in these pics, but you can get the uneven "splotchiness" which helps add to the effect
1725965070002.png
1725965392191.png

Not sure exactly what brand/kind of paints you have another thing you could try might be a reddish brown (chestnut?) ink wash over a steel color

In my case, on my 1/72 Sea Dragon exhaust tube (or whatever the technical name is) I used P3 Brown ink (which is actually a very red/chestnut color more so than brown) and Army Painters strong tone wash over Army Painter Durasteel (although any mid range silverish/steel color would work. )
View attachment 124388View attachment 124389View attachment 124390
You theoretically could take the same approach with washes/glazing using similar acrylic paints you have (not sure about enamels). The "glazing" technique is like staining more than a wash that settles into low areas. I do it by mixing in some glaze medium (Vallejo). Inks just make it easier
here are some shots in different lighting of the effect. I also did it in several thin coats. Hard to tell in these pics, but you can get the uneven "splotchiness" which helps add to the effect
View attachment 124386
View attachment 124387
Thant looks great, some interesting techniques. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back