oil washing advice

Sam

i am attempting my first oil wash on a us m8 greyhound but i wanted any tip or suggestions before i start. for example. is there a specific ratio i need to follow or is there certain prepping i need to do before hand? oh ! what is the preferance for gloss coats? thanks in advance forgive my wording im quite new lol

make sure that you seal the kit with some clear lacquer, most people use a clear matt or flat coat to protect the paint work you are about to coat with an oil wash or any other wash for that matter.

hope this helps

i use tamia or vellajo to seal before this step. just make your wash look like Dirty thinners and your good to go

Sam said:
i am attempting my first oil wash on a us m8 greyhound but i wanted any tip or suggestions before i start. for example. is there a specific ratio i need to follow or is there certain prepping i need to do before hand? oh ! what is the preferance for gloss coats? thanks in advance forgive my wording im quite new lol

A lot depends on the paint you used on your M8. If it's acrylic, the thinners in an oil wash wont effect them and a clear cote isn't always needed. If you paint with enamels, the paint needs to be protected by an acrylic clear so the thinners in the wash wont attack the paint.

The glossier the finish, the easier it is to remove the oil from the surface and the flatter the finish, the more tooth it will have for the oil to stick to. I usually use a satin coat, it's a good compromise of the two.

I don't know and have never used 'exact ratios' but your basic wash is like heavily thinned paint. You're better off using a thin mixture and having to apply it a couple times, than using a thick mixture and over applying it the first time. I used to just take a little blob of oil paint in put it into a small glass jar of mineral spirits for my home made washes.

sigh... i used an enamel flat coat. so should i skip on a oil wash and do some other effect. dry brushing perhaps ? although some kits do look outstanding if they look like they just came out of the factory i still ( eventhough im a noob ) id still rather use some type of effect.

Try and get yourself some Vallejo varnishes, satin, Matt and gloss. There acrylic and oils won't effect them. But if you want to stick to your enamel flat coat you could always use an acrylic wash, I've never done this though others may be more knowledgeable on the subject.

You have a few options really:

1. If you are very careful and only flow the wash into the nooks and crannies and around raised detail, you should be okay. It's really flooding of the surface and over aggressive brushing etc. that will cause you grief. Just don't work it too much and let it flow into place on it's own and you should be okay.

2. If you have any acrylic clear, you can go over it again just to form that acrylic barrier and then you should be fairly well protected.

3. Vallejo does make acrylic washes, I have a couple and while they aren't as easy to use (they dry on you super fast) they can be used to good effect.

Even on a factory fresh vehicle I'd want a pin wash around the raised details and stuff, it helps to make those details pop and gives the model a bit of character.

Sam, Oil wash is great and also extremely forgiving. If your not happy with the result you can wipe it off and out of the panel lines with a soft brush and Turpenoid. Once it's clean and dry you can remix your wash to a better flavor and reapply. You can do this as many times as needed until you get the look your aiming for. The guys above have all four corners covered on clear coating so I would say your in good hands. Snap to it son and above all have fun.

Latest posts

Back