P-47 D Thunderbolt (Escuadrón 201 paint finish)

super pat

ah!! huevo!!!
El Escuadrón 201 was a Mexican fighter squadron, part of the Fuerza Aérea Expedicionaria Mexicana (FAEM â€" "Mexican Expeditionary Air Force") that aided the Allied war effort during World War II. The squadron was commonly known, apparently coined by members of the squadron during training, by the nickname Aguilas Aztecas, or "Aztec Eagles".[1]

The squadron was attached to the 58th Fighter Group of the United States Army Air Forces during the liberation of the main Philippine island of Luzon in the summer of 1945. The pilots flew P-47D-30-RA "Thunderbolt" single-seat fighter aircraft carrying out tactical air support missions.

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escuadr%C3%B3n_201

Ok, friends i have share a little bit of my history, now lets get to the job!!! SCALE MODELING!!! :p
Here are some pics from my model, this ones was my second work. It was hard to choose between the most accurate paint finish from the original squadron pattern... On internet I found some pictures so i can get reference... I believe it wasn't the same paint finish for all the squadron members...anyway :p

esq201-12c.jpg

esq201-09.jpg

xti-4054.jpg

xti-4057.jpg

xti-4059.jpg

xti-4060.jpg

What a great little build.
Have you thoult of adding a pinwash to the panel lines?

It will add tons of realisum.

A pinpoint wash is applied to the panel line with a small brush Instead of covering the whole model.
Use your preferred paint. Also be sure to coat your model with clear first, this will help the paint spread better. Oil paints work very good for this. Be very careful not to use conflicting paints.

Capillary action will help disperse the paint along the panel lines and you can clean up undesired spots with a Q-tip or cotton swab dipped in the respective thinner. Hopeful this helps a little.

You might find a good tutorial on U tube.

thanks!!! I will check them!!! ;) if it is what Im thinking, that will be really helpful for my next models

Very nice, Super Pat! Very clean build, and I like your choice of subject, too. I didn't know that the Mexicans served in the combat area, either.

That is a great little kit, and if I'm not mistaken, it's Revell's classic 1/72 Thunderbolt, going back to the early 60's. You've done a nice job with the details.

Mac's suggestion for a pin wash for the panel lines is a good one, and may I add to it, if you've sealed the current colors, a wash made of acrylic paint thinned with water would be good. He mentioned avoiding conflicting paints, which we understand to mean that if you've used enamels for the first layer, then try acrylics for the next, because the solvents used for acrylics won't attack the enamels. The panel line detail on this kit is pretty good to begin with, so personally, I'd use a really light wash, if any, just enough to deposit a hint of darker color. Too often, panel lines are overdone, in my opinion, if the model were expanded to full scale, the panel lines would be six inches across, the way some folks do them.

Latest posts

Back