Paint Shakers

hooterville75

What item does everyone put in the paint bottles to help when shaking them up ? I have heard of some using BB's, some using Pellets, some using marbles, some using pebbles, some using washers, some using the badger paint stirrer, etc. What is your favorite item to put in paint to help with mixing the paint while shaking the bottle ?

For me, i use BBs. Mostly because they were cheep for a lot of them. I've had the same bottle for nearly ten years. They're nice, but probably not the best. They have a tendancy to corrode n acrylics. Though i've never had the paint color affected by them, even in whites or yellows and such.
i like the pebble idea :) might have to give that a try when I'm out of BBs.
Cheers!

Bader paint stirrer.
I got mine a few years ago from Ken himself when he came for NorEastCon here on Long Island a few years ago.
Nothing is better than that.

When it comes to pebbles and BB's in the jars, be careful.
Alclad used to put some kind of ball bearing in their bottles until people started complaining of the bottles breaking while shaking (at least that's the story I heard anyways).

I use the Badger paint stirrer with some of my paint, but some brands, especially acrylics, can become frothy when using it so I use a toothpick or scrap styrene to stir it.

I use wooden coffee stirrers, I had a homemade USB powered mixer, similar to the Badger one mentioned.

-Steven

spud said:

Agreed! I also have a mechanical paint shaker, but the badger one works far better. The image below is of the mechanical one.

2WjEftOHblsFM2pp3iYNmNfY92dDN39tP28FIamU01JDp_VcOcRlzMyqCJpouA_SGO9aE-GPUv3yXMZ9OZ_-gZc-5a0-t0O7nAdkgXDvokx3baLygu-xuBoRghviouR8NLMxaCgHnpkF

I use toothpicks, plastic coffee stirrers, and instead of BBs (which can react in the solution and rust), I use pieces of glass (non-reactive).

I had heard that about the BB's but contrary to what a lot of people said and I take this with a grain of salt because hes involved in this line of work, my uncle owns a Sporting Goods shop. I was talking to him in regards to the BB's reacting with the paint. He told me that a "Copper" BB will not rust, tarnish or react with the paint unless the paint goes totally dry or hardens up. As long as the BB is kept moist with the BB it will not react in anyway. Just what he told me. Being hes familiar with this product I take what he said and "still" wonder if it would react. I know a ton of people that use the BB's with success. I'm getting the Badger Paint Mixer and using that lol.

hooterville75 said:
I had heard that about the BB's but contrary to what a lot of people said and I take this with a grain of salt because hes involved in this line of work, my uncle owns a Sporting Goods shop. I was talking to him in regards to the BB's reacting with the paint. He told me that a "Copper" BB will not rust, tarnish or react with the paint unless the paint goes totally dry or hardens up. As long as the BB is kept moist with the BB it will not react in anyway. Just what he told me. Being hes familiar with this product I take what he said and "still" wonder if it would react. I know a ton of people that use the BB's with success. I'm getting the Badger Paint Mixer and using that lol.

That all depends on what material the BB is made out of. Most aren't solid copper anymore, any of them that are a steel core with a copper shell, or copper like shell, can and will rust if it is put into an acrylic paint. Lacquer and enamel paint....unless the metal of the BB reacts with the solution, IE, the lacquer or enamel carrier breaks it down, then it should be alright.

Latest posts

Back