Paint Steps

hooterville75

I would like to get as shiny of a finish on this next kit I start as possible. What is the proper steps I should take ? Here is what Ive gathered so far please correct me if I'm wrong or I'm missing something that could help make it shinier. If I've already asked this prior and missed the replies, I apologize in advance.

Here is what I know of doing as of now and the resources I have available to me.

400 & 600 grit wet/dry sand paper
Future
Auto Wax
Dupli Color Gloss Coat

1. Wash the model with soapy, warmer water
2. Sand with 400 grit wet/dry sand paper
3. Primer
4. Sand with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper
5. Base coat
6. Sand again with 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper
7. Second coat
8. Third coat
9. Coat of Future
10. Layer of Wax
11. Buff with cloth

Thanks again for all your help. Its truly appreciated and very valued.

I'll wash the parts in warm, dish-soapy water with a tiny bit of isopropyl alcohol and after rinsing them I'll do a second rinse/bath in distilled water and isopropyl alcohol. I'll use a primer first sometimes or just spot prime trouble areas. I'll rarely sand any paint unless there are trouble spots. After the paint I'll gloss coat using a clear acrylic, though, I don't like to use Future. Next come the decals followed by another gloss clear coat. Then I'll do the weathering and apply the final clear coat.

Some guys use auto wax on cars, but I'd recommend using Novus products. They are expensive, but specially made for modellers. The final Novus polish contains silicone so you can't apply anything on top of it. I also recommend using water safe sandpaper and wet sanding. As far as grits go I have a ton. Hobby Lobby sells a nice set of sandpaper that covers 320 to 12000 grit. The very high grits work great for polishing.

Latest posts

Back