Painting question - Base coat

hooterville75

Ive given my second build two coats of primer which went on super. I tried a Rustoleum Auto Primer this time from a spray can. Went on great. I gave the body its first base coat of Black. Is it normal procedure when paint is drying to form different shapes on the body until dried ? I glanced at it at one point while it was drying and noticed that on the back quarter panel their was a dime sized area where it looked the shape of a puddle of water. It wasnt a run or anything like that it was just like a outline of a puddle shape. Is that normal or did I do something wrong ? Regardless normal or not, when I give it the second coat of Black will it cover that or will I need to make corrections to it before I give it the second coat of Black ?

Sounds almost like 'fisheye' which is if I recall correctly, something like oil on the surface (from a finger etc.) that causes it to not adhere well.

You may be able to sand it and address it after it dries, not really sure.

Gundamhead said:
Sounds like a run or crater. Fish eye is usually not one circle and a bit smaller than the size of the 'O' on your keyboard. I'm betting you 'shot' that area for a second while being too close and too still to get a dime size crater.

http://airbrushdoc.com/tipstricks/paint-defects/

I agree.

Your description, HV, made me think of a little too much paint hitting the surface. Ken is correct, you can always sand down the bad area and shoot it again.

I use rattlecans, too, for my primers, and I use a couple of light passes, trying to lay down as little paint as possible in each pass. I'll let the primer cure for a day, too, before I put the next coat down.

Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back