RLM-02 for the 21st century

Edbert

I need some advice. Lot of old history using testors MM enamels to apply RLM-02, it was easy to grab the bottle marked RLM-02 (thank you sane company!), which was a middle gray with distinct brown/tan overtones, and not fret about it. Never had any worries with German paint jobs.

I'm looking at building my first ever Soviet plane, always been intrigued by the turquoise interiors. But I'm leaning hard towards a Vietnam war era aircraft (Mig-21) and am finding that they did not use the bright color in 1968, instead they used RLM-02 (according to Eduard). But, here's the rub, the gray I see on the 3D decals is a much bluer gray that Testors MM RLM-02, almost a USAF interior gray.

So what's the story? Is Testors wrong and I've been using the wrong color all these years? I found this chart, definitely useful, but RLM-02 is not included. https://www.angelfire.com/ca6/modelci/hints/color.htm

What say ye?

MiGs never used RLM 2 for cockpit colors.
I'm looking at the instruction sheet here...
1721593145957.png

Two sets of PE/3D above, one for the turquoise that I thought they all had, and one for the gray that looks bluer than the RLM-02 that I knew and what Urumomo linked to. So now I'm questioning the instructions from Eduard, but also, why would they make and include both sets of PE?

1721593471696.png
Here's the 1st step, front wheel well. The build is for the "921 Fighter Regiment VPAAF, Noi Bai airfield, 1968". This is where they literally say RLM-02. I was okay with that even if it is wrong, but the gray they used on the PE/3D was NOT the brownish gray of RLM02.

I think I'll overrule it and use the turquoise, definitely cooler to me.

Thanks for the help, love you guys!

Last edited:
I'm looking at the instruction sheet here...
View attachment 120473

Two sets of PE/3D above, one for the turquoise that I thought they all had, and one for the gray that looks bluer than the RLM-02 that I knew and what Urumomo linked to. So now I'm questioning the instructions from Eduard, but also, why would they make and include both sets of PE?

View attachment 120482
Here's the 1st step, front wheel well. The build is for the "921 Fighter Regiment VPAAF, Noi Bai airfield, 1968". This is where they literally say RLM-02. I was okay with that even if it is wrong, but the gray they used on the PE/3D was NOT the brownish gray of RLM02.

I think I'll overrule it and use the turquoise, definitely cooler to me.

Thanks for the help, love you guys!
I see why you were confused. It gave you the option of using either RLM 2 grey or Russian Cockpit Green. I agree. Go with the turquoise Russian Cockpit Green.

Latest posts

Back