Scratchbuilt Airfield Structures

BGilbertSound

After poking around the abandoned airfields website, I came upon a photo of a rotating beacon tower at Mellar Field west of Houston. And since I needed a project to keep my laser cutter busy, I designed this little kit. I settled on a height of around 40 scale feet, which is probably too short, but from the photos the real thing should be somewhere in that neighborhood. It's mostly cardstock, with a little stripwood and wire here and there. The beacon itself was made from some scale aluminum tubing, with a pair of glass lenses that I have on hand. The beacon doesn't rotate, but I'm sure it could be made to do so by someone with more patience than me. Heck, there's probably folks out there that would wire it with LEDs and add a micromotor. Hope you like it... I might make the parts available on ebay sometime, probably around ten bucks or so.Airfields_TX_HoustonW_htm_5178eb9d.jpgIMG_6503.jpgIMG_6504.jpgIMG_6505.jpgIMG_6510.jpgIMG_6512.jpgIMG_6515.jpgIMG_6516.jpgIMG_6520.jpgIMG_6521.jpg

Great project, and illustrates very well what you can do with the technology and the tool!

Now you just need to build an airfield diorama around it! :p

Latest posts

Back