Spray Booth Motor I got

hooterville75

So I decided since I knew nothing about the Blower Motor I obtained from my father that I would just purchase a all together new blower motor. I ended up getting a Marine Bilge Blower Motor. It is 4" intake and exhaust, is spark proof, ignition protected and blows 240 CFM's. I figured if this still wasn't enough CFM's that I would throw the blower motor I obtained from my father and use it as well. This Bilge motor is brand new so should be what I need. Hoping so anyways lol. Thoughts or concerns about using this motor would be very appreciated. Also on where to mount this motor would be appreciated. Should I mount to get a cross draft or mount to get a downdraft. For either draft, where do you recommend I mount the motor in the booth. Thanks in advance for all info.

So I couldnt get the hyperlink to work in the original message so I saved the image and copy and pasted the info for the motor.

Housing is molded tough corrosion-proof ABS plastic. Rugged built-in mounting brackets for easy installation. Molded tabs on all hose flanges provide positive hose connections.
Ignition protected
Spark proof
4" (10.16cm) Intake
4" (10.16cm) Exhaust with remote bracket
5-3/4" (14.61cm) Length
4-3/4" (12.07cm) Mounted height
CFM 240 Air movement.
Ignition protected 12V DC, 4.5 Amps
Use 5 Amp fuse.

Blower meets or exceeds these standards:
ABYCH H-2
NMMA Certified
USCG 33 CFR Sections 183.410 and 183.425
ISO 9097
UL Listed
UL 1128 Standard Marine blowers.
50-41841

[attachment deleted by admin]

The problem you are going to have with that motor is a power supply. It wants 12V 4.5 amps DC. So you won't be able to plug it into a wall.

Other than that, it should work fine. The other problem will be mounting it to the booth and getting duct to fit it. I am not sure how large a dryer hose is, so I might be wrong on that one.

Just checked, standard dryer hose is 4 inches so that should fit the motor. I would just put the motor in the middle of the extraction hose.

I doubt very much if a Cell Phone charger would pump 4.5amps, nor are most of them even 12V, as battery on a cell phone is no where near that big (unless you are stuck in the '80s carrying a bag phone (Brick phone) in your back pack).

My charger here is only 4.8V and 0.9A, I would assume most cell phone chargers are around that, all it would do to that motor is give it a little tickle.

Those bilge lowers require a direct hookup to a transformer....at least on our sub , that's how it went. Hard wired system of some sort. Perhaps are car battery or AC/DC converter you can plug in to the wall or a bench power supply...perhaps a jumped ****VERY UNSAFE**** Computer PSU could suffice too

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to properly and safely power this Ignition protected 12V DC, 4.5 Amps Bilge Blower Motor in a spray booth ?

hooterville75 said:
Does anyone have any recommendations on how to properly and safely power this Ignition protected 12V DC, 4.5 Amps Bilge Blower Motor in a spray booth ?

Search the net to see if you can find a 12VDC, 4.5amp plug in transformer. Don't know if they make them that big or not though.

Elm City Hobbies said:
hooterville75 said:

Search the net to see if you can find a 12VDC, 4.5amp plug in transformer. Don't know if they make them that big or not though.

I am sure that they make them that big. Some laptops probably require that kind of power supply. I had a printer power supply last week that was 27V at 2.3A. Threw it way. No way I would ever use that for anything.

If you do find one, I bet it will be expensive, large and heavy.

A car battery. jkjk Really you want a computer power supply. It's going to be a little tricky to wire up, I'm sure there are tutorials out there that will help you out. Or a 110 AC to 12V DC power supply with at least 4.5 amps. You can't use anything with less than 4.5 amps but you can use a supply with more.

Ok this is what I have laying around the house that I found today. Don't know if either will work so Ill ask you guys. I have a plug that is used to plug in a computer tower. It is a I-SHENG IS-14 and is 10A - 12.5 V - 1250 W

I also have a old laptop plug that was two pieces. It had a plug that plugged into a box that had another wire on that went up to plug into the laptop. I only have the part that plugs into the box which I believe is pointless but not sure. So it reads Input = 100-240 V - 1.7 A - 50-60 Hz Output = 18.5V - 3.5 A

Then I have (2) plugs that read Technics Direct Plugin Class 2 Power Unit
Model : TEAD 48-120800U
Input = 120VAC - 60Hz - 15W
Output = 12 VDC - 800mA

Then I have one plug that reads
Input = 120VAC - 60Hz - 15W
Output = 9 VDC - 1 Amp

I also have a Power Protect AV 600 with Surge (protector that I cut the 8 foot plug off of. I don't use it as a surge protector anymore since it was updated with a new surge protector that the better half left someone talk her into. I was originally going to just strip the plug for the copper to recycle but got the bright idea that this may work for a spray booth power source sometime so I kept it. I have no specifics power wise on it so was hoping someone else may know. I'm currently researching this myself as well.

None of those will work. Sorry

Here is a link to what you need from amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Wagan-Amp-12V-Power-Adapter/dp/B000P7O5DG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1349906325&sr=8-3&keywords=110+ac+to+12v+dc

You can find one for cheaper on ebay: search "110 ac to 12v dc" and you'll find one that looks like the one from amazon. The most important part is that it has at least 4.5 amps. If it doesn't don't get it.

You'll need to cut the end wires and solder them to the fan. Can you upload photos of any connector or wires on the fan? That way I can explain how best to power it.

Yep, sure will when it gets here. It was shipped 10/8 so I still haven't received it. Maybe I'm worrying for nothing but just going by what others told me. I just hope I can get it to work :) I will take a photo of the wires etc when I get it and post it for you to look at. I also messaged on ebay the marine company I bought it for and asked how to get power to this bilge blower. They responded to give them a call and they would try to help. If all else fails and I still cant get power to it after were out of resources you and I Ill call them. Thanks a ton for your help.

Latest posts

Back