Star Wars Blu Ray

JohnSimmons

For Spud: I was once Merseajohn
Well I picked up the complete saga on blu ray today and allthough everyone has been hating it on the forums etc I have rather enjoyed what I have seen so far. I have only skimmed through the original trilogy (at 720p) and thought it looked very nice. Not a huge amount better than the hd broadcasts but still better. If you can get over Vader's riduclous NOOOOOOOO at the end of ROTJ and the pointless 'DUG' included in Jabba's Palace then I think you'll enjoy it. The extras are the real gem though (the only reason for my purchase). They have quite alot of deleted scenes (not all but we have to be thankfull for small mercy's with Lucasfilm!) and lots of modeling refrence yey! They have most stuff including the 32" falcon (which will be great for the group build) B wing (unfortunately I cant screen grab blu ray, if anyone has the capability to do this it would be fantastic):
IMG_1023.jpg
IMG_1026.jpg
And an Xwing (forgot which model)
IMG_1031.jpg
They all have 360 degree viewing and also close ups and sometimes videos about how they were shot etc.
So was it worth £70? well not really but I'm a star wars geek and its a great refrence for modeling and I'v now seen some scenes that I'v been waiting over 20 years to see.
Hope this was of some use and not too boring!
:)

cool. i dint even know they came out on blu ray, but at that price its garenteed to be 100 euro in ireland.

At least the Ewoks blink their eyes now... I can finally sleep at night. Well worth it.... NOOOOOOOOOO!

They should be out here in the States, tomorrow, IIRC.
Afraid the extras alone wouldn't be enough to justify forking out the dough on the full set, though.

Already have all 6 on DVD. Don't see the point in multiple copies of, essentially, the same movies

Well your right Q, youtube will have the deleted scenes by now and the hd broadcasts are available on the net (without Vader shouting Noooooo!) and then there's the best version of star wars Adywans 'Revisited' saga also available. Now if I could find someone that could upload the model images?...

I can't and won't accept a classic trilogy like Star Wars being tampered with.

If they have the option to view the original theatrical versions untouched, but in HD, then I'll consider buying them.

Sounds like they've done a good job with the extras though.

I'm old school-I only like the original movies, in their original theatrical release versions. "Director's cut" and similar enhanced versions are like someone telling a story, and continuously going back and adding things that he forgot. If it was that important to the story, it wouldn't have been cut. Or the additions change the flavor of the story. For instance--Han Solo gets the drop on Greedo. Greedo doesn't get off a shot first. That is better than the re-done scene. It establishes Han as a rogue, a tough customer. I like the movies the way they were when I first saw them in the theater, especially the first. It was the greatest thing I'd ever seen, for sci-fi, it was the classic hero's story, with good guys, villains, a wise old mentor, a beautiful heroine, trusty sidekicks, and all portrayed with realistic special effects. In short, it was light-years away from either "Star Trek", which had the good stories but the effects weren't so great, or "2001: A Space Oddessy" which is ruined by the LSD-trip effects in the second half of the movie. "Star Wars" was an event. I saw it 10 times that summer, I was so struck by it.

Which disk(s) are the model reference photos on? Do I have to shell out $80 for the complete set just for those?

Figures.

I did see Empire on Blue-ray and did notice much more detail. I never noticed before that the Snowspeeder harnesses have bubble wrap on them. The problem is now I can't un-see it. It look sooo cheap!

I hate to give Lucas my money on his "new" old movies, but there is zero chance of him releasing true originals on Blu-ray. The way I see it it's better to to buy them now before he screws them up even more. Vader will likely live in the next release or he will edit Jar Jar in the every other scene.

Latest posts

Back