Tamiya P-51D Mustang Kit

hooterville75

Is the 1/72 Tamiya P-51D Mustang Kit a decent kit and beginner friendly starter kit for Aircraft ? It appears that's what I'm going to be purchasing to start with. $12 Its a like Chrome or Silver/White and Blue. Wish I could get the real actual colors of the kit so I could order them when I order the kit. OR I could just experiment with the Testors paint I already have. Suggestions ?

Not sure Hooterville75, I have a 1:72 Spitfire from them - it looks great but I haven't built it yet...

I have built a few of Tamiyas 1:48 scale aircraft however. The 1:48 scale Tamiya Mustang (and the P-47) are supposed to be joys to put together. Fit is excellent, the parts count is not crazy high or anything, and they build up with nice surface detail.

Dont get too hung up on the paints Hooter, the instructions are realy only guides and are often historicaly incorrect. Go with what youve got at hand if your budget is limited. I suscribe to the "as long as it looks cool " theory...

I find Tamiya acrylic paints are only good for airbrushing so if you are going to use a paint brush the Testors might be a better option.

The 1/72 Tamiya P-51 is an excellent model. It's probably the best P-51 in 1/72. 8) As for paints, just try what you've got for now.

The Monogram and Revell kits seem to be even cheaper then Tamiya ? I've asked about Tamiya originally because people stated that Tamiya kits basically fall together lol.

hooterville75 said:
The Monogram and Revell kits seem to be even cheaper then Tamiya ? I've asked about Tamiya originally because people stated that Tamiya kits basically fall together lol.

Revell/Monogram kits are generally less expensive than Tamiya, usually less detail, slightly harder to put together, however are still good kits.

Don't over look the newer Airfix kits either, the new P-51D is supposed to be excellent (I haven't looked at them as all of mine sold in no time), but I do have their new Spitfire Mk.22 and it seems to be quite a good kit from my initial look.

Elm City Hobbies said:
hooterville75 said:

Revell/Monogram kits are generally less expensive than Tamiya, usually less detail, slightly harder to put together, however are still good kits.

Don't over look the newer Airfix kits either, the new P-51D is supposed to be excellent (I haven't looked at them as all of mine sold in no time), but I do have their new Spitfire Mk.22 and it seems to be quite a good kit from my initial look.

I didn't get Airfix's 1/72 P-51 either, but their new 1/72 Zero and 1/72 Swordfish are superb. As good as Tamiya's best in that scale, and 1/2 the price of anything Tamiya. But you gotta get the newest Airfix kits. Airfix has gone from humdrum, to holy cow I gotta have one of those in the past year or two for me. 8)

That's still a bit of a trick. It catches everybody at least once. Model companies will all re-release their old kits and their new, so if you're after a particular kit, checking the 'net is the best way. But on your own, the two best are box art and kit serial numbers, and the other is asking the shop guy before you buy.

Gundamhead, I buy online because the closest local hobby shop to me is at least a hour away and I don't get out much. When I do get out I have no loot lol. I have to do all my buying of any supplies I get or any new kits I get generally the third of the month because that's when the direct deposit hits my card. Plus I'm always searching evilbay. Right now their is a guy that is selling about 40 sets of Photo Etch decals that he bought at an estate sale the bid is bringing like $12. If I knew more about modeling Id just shoot to get that auction and buy my kits according to the next in line lol. This month I think I'm going to concentrate on getting some more accessories and paints and worry about models next month unless I can snag something off evilbay cheaper. Detail really doesn't matter to me right now as I just want to get decent with painting them and learning to put them together period since Ive never put an Aircraft or Tank together. After that gets more routine then Ill start worry about detail etc. So I believe for now for me cheaper is better so Ill just snag a kit that's more affordable then come time to get more advanced, Ill refer to you nice peoples on here and ask what kit to buy ha ha.

You can do like I do--I'm a nostalgia builder, I build a lot of kits that I built when I was a kid, and I find most of my kits today on the second-hand market--eBay, modeling shows, flea markets, etc. I don't turn my nose up at new, contemporary kits, but I enjoy picking up an old Monogram airplane kit, along with the kits from Academy, HobbyBoss, Eduard, etc.

Having said that, I'll say that yes, Tamiya kits are generally considered to be of good quality, and relatively easy to build, or better expressed, hard to mess up. There's no kit that really just falls together. Just as you're cruising along on some build, you get lulled into a false sense of security, and it's then that you realize that you left out some vital part, when you've just finished gluing up the fuselage/body/hull.

You've got a couple of threads going to ask about various P-51 kits, and I recommend that you build them all. Not all at once, understanding that you've got a budget to follow. But set it as a goal, perhaps, to start with one, the Tamiya kit, say, and then to build the Airfix kit. Maybe do the new release by Airfix, and then track down the older release, just to see what it was like and how it compares to the new one. Then get some from some other makers, like the Monogram P-51B. By the way, I must respectfully disagree with a previous comment that Monogram and Revell kits are harder to put together, I haven't had that experience myself.

There are a lot of guys who build a collection of models along those lines. I do that, for example, I like to see how different manufacturers approached designing a kit of the same subject.

Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Back