The Inaugural Austin F1 Grand Prix

The Nylon Gag

Hello My Friends,

This weekend is the first F1 race at the purpose build race track in Austin, Texas called the Circuit Of The Americas (COTA). I have been looking forward to this race all year mainly because i live in America (even though i'm an Englishman) and it's really very cool to have F1 back in the US after 5 years but also because its a new track so the playing field is very level for all the teams and drivers.
None of the teams have any data to set their cars up, none of the drivers have driven on the actual track, some have practiced in the simulator but none on the actual track so the grippyness of the surface is un-know, also the surface is very 'green', meaning it doesn't have any existing rubber laid down from previous races and if it rains then the track will become like an ice rink, so the drivers ability to set up his car and learn the new circuit will become vital.
All this, plus the championship is still undecided with this race and one more in Brazil left in the 2012 season and only 10 points between first and second place.

So, i thought it would be fun to invite all members to play a very simple F1 game for this race that i invented about 20 years ago in England.
All you have to do is predict the top ten places in the race, the points paying positions.
The way the game is scored is, if you get the driver in his correct finishing position you get 5 points and if you get him in your top ten but in the wrong position you get 2 points.

Here is an example from the last race in Abu Dhabi,

My prediction My points Race Result
1.Hamilton 0 1.Raikkonen
2.Raikkonen 2 2.Alonso
3.Button 2 3.Vettel
4.Alonso 2 4.Button
5.Vettel 2 5.Maldonado
6.Massa 2 6.Kobiyashi
7.Rozberg 0 7.Massa
8.Grosjean 0 8.Senna
9.Schumacher 0 9.Di Resta
10.Perez 0 10.Riccardo
10pts

This was not a good week for me, my highest was at the German GP where i scored 27pts.

I have included a link to the F1 website and all the drivers and teams and from there you can see the current standings etc........

http://www.formula1.com/teams_and_drivers/

And thats it, very simple. It makes following the race fun because you will be rooting not only for first place but also for all the top ten positions so you can get as many points as possible.
I have been playing this game with IGARD for most of the season (when he remembers to send me his top ten ;D, just kidding buddy) and i have realy enjoyed following the races with a buddy who is as enthusiastic as me about F1 and also seems to realy enjoy my little game.
The only rule is your prediction must be posted before the race starts (obviously) not 30 laps in or right before they finish. So, if you want to post your top ten after practice or wait until after qualifyling its up to you but it must be before the lights go out.

Here is my Top Ten:
1.Vettel
2.Button
3.Alonso
4.Hamilton
5.Massa
6.Raikkonen
7.Schumacher
8.Perez
9.Senna
10.Kobiyashi

I hope a few members join in, no prizes, just for fun.
Take care everyone and enjoy the race.

The Nylon "And its Go....Go.....Go" Gag

Is a huge F1 fan myself. Im a Raikkonen fan but when he took his leave I became a Button fan. Now that Riakkonen is back Im a huge Iceman fan again. Still root for Button as well. Was a Button fan back to the Lucky Strike days. IF I had to pick a favorite though it would be Kimi.

The points championship will be a war. Vettal only has to outscore Alonso by 15 to wrap up the championship. Vettel was fastest in practice all day today and seems to be the class of the race at this point but I have to go out on a limb and say he wont set pool. Webber was busting on his heels all day with a Red Bull sweep of 1 & 2.

Im not a big Vettal fan so Im going to go with the following top ten.

1. Fernando Alonso - Ferrari
2. Sebastian Vettal - Red Bull
3. Jenson Button - McClarren
4. Kimi Raikkonen - Lotus
5. Mark Webber - Red Bull
6. Lewis Hamilton - McClarren
7. Felipe Massa - Ferrari
8. Nico Rossburg - Mercedes
9. Michael Schumacher - Mercedes
10. Kamui Kobyashi - Sauber

Dusky said:
Go Vettel! Go Weber!

you got to be kidding, right? ;D

dunno why, but for some reason I totally dislike Vettel. Got some sympathy for Webber, he's a cool bloke. However, I prefer Button, a real gentlemen driver, though he's not as good as Hamilton...guess he'll regret going from McLaren to Mercedes...

Cheers

I dont dislike Hamiltons talent however I do dislike his cocky, arrogent attitude most the time. That comes from his father though. When I raced karts in the Manufacturers cup as a very little guy, Lewis was sponsored by McClarren clean back to those days as a kid. Hed show up with a tractor trailer rig for go karting while the rest of us had our dualies pulling a 12' enclosed trailer lol.

I believe money was the determining factor of Hamilton going to Mercedes though to fill the seat left with the retiring of Schumacher. I believe he will take alot with him to a suffering program bringing Mercedes in the hunt for a Championship again. Hamilton has more then a driver that will go with him to Mercedes. It will be exciting to see what goes on.

GO KIMI!!!!!

Hey everyone, glad to see this has some interest. The Gagman's little game is alot of fun (when I remember to post). ;D

On the subject of Hamilton, I don't really like any driver that waltzes into one of the fastest cars on the grid. He didn't cut his teeth in a small team running at the back, and his attitude towards the backmarkers was terrible when he first started in F1.

He's kind of grown on me a bit since then. I see him as a bit of a PR nightmare, he doesn't really get how to handle the press and it just makes him look an idiot. However, he is a very fast idiot!

Vettel, well I remember him celebrating on the podium at Monaco a couple of years ago. The Royal Guard who stand completely still was on the receiving end of a face-full of champaigne, courtesy of young Mr Vettel. Since then I've always viewed him as immature and kind of a prat really. He loves the sound of his own voice too, just listen to him repeat everything he says several times in his interviews! :-X

Ok on with my predictions...

1. Hamilton
2. Raikkonen
3. Vettel
4. Alonso
5. Grosjean
6. Webber
7. Massa
8. Hulkenberg
9. Schumacher
10. Maldonado

I think Vettel will extend his lead, but Alonso will be able to secure enough points to take the championship to the last race in Brazil. Still looks very much likes Vettel's title to me.

Enjoy folks, I think this looks like a great circuit, hopefully it'll provide some good racing!

I usually check the results after the fact, might watch a bit of this one tomorrow as it is on the new track in Austin, but to be honest....to me, F1 has lost it's luster long ago. Once Prost and Mansell retired, and Senna tragically killed....F1 lost interest for me.

Elm City Hobbies said:
I usually check the results after the fact, might watch a bit of this one tomorrow as it is on the new track in Austin, but to be honest....to me, F1 has lost it's luster long ago. Once Prost and Mansell retired, and Senna tragically killed....F1 lost interest for me.
I can partially concurr, however, this season has been the best and most exciting in years!!!! Towards the end it's a bit les dramatic, though still some great driving skills shown, and lots of battles.

Sad I can't watch the race today, I'm working :-\

btw: from the blokes in the top teams, there ain't many of them who had experience from the teams at the lower regions of the grid...except for Fernando Alonso...Anyone remembers him as the shy boy driving for Minardi, years ago? ;D

Cheers

Im with Wouter on this one...

This has truly been one of the more exciting F1 seasons in recent memory. Who can argue with 8 different winners so far this year, and the drivers title likely to be determined at the last race in Sao Paulo. There has been some awesome battles on the track instead of the board rooms. I am not a fan of Vettel's yet his last run at Abu Dhabi really impressed me, going all the way from dead last to third place at the end, impressive. The cars look spectacular, expecially the Lotus team cars! The new circuits being built have lots of character unlike some of the flat cookie cutter tracks of the last decade. The new COTA reminds me a lot of Road America with the elevation changes, front and back straights and tight technical sections.

I am a bit bummed though. I have to work today too. No matter, as my cable provider wont have an HD broadcast of this race til late this evening.

I will have the Nascar finale on the TVs at work today though.

whehey, that's what this season needed, a Grand Finale!!!! Really looking forward to the last race!!!

Cheers

Carsenault said:
I am not a fan of Vettel's yet his last run at Abu Dhabi really impressed me, going all the way from dead last to third place at the end, impressive.

Not once but twice. Hamilton didnt just jump into a F1 car. He ran several support series after he moved onto the next level from kart racing. He ran the Brittish Formula Renault series, Formula 3 Euroseries, and GP2 on his way to Formula 1. Hes definitely earned his ride he has but will agree he is a bit arrogent, cocky and HATES the media lol.

hooterville75 said:
Carsenault said:
I am not a fan of Vettel's yet his last run at Abu Dhabi really impressed me, going all the way from dead last to third place at the end, impressive.

Hes definitely earned his ride he has but will agree he is a bit arrogent, cocky and HATES the media lol.
He got something 'princessy' about him, that's for sure ;D. Wether he hates the media...well, dunno about that...for sure he doesn't hate the crew of the BBC :)

Cheers

I thought that was an awesome race. Really enjoyed it. The green track just shows you what reducing the grip on these cars does for the racing.

Here's the top 10 from the race on Sunday -

1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Alonso
4. Massa
5. Button
6. Raikkonen
7. Grosjean
8. Hulkenberg
9. Maldonado
10. Senna

Toe's score -

1.Vettel 2
2.Button 2
3.Alonso 5
4.Hamilton 2
5.Massa 2
6.Raikkonen 5
7.Schumacher
8.Perez
9.Senna 2
10.Kobiyashi 2

Total = 22 points

Hooterville -

1. Fernando Alonso 2
2. Sebastian Vettal 5
3. Jenson Button 2
4. Kimi Raikkonen 2
5. Mark Webber
6. Lewis Hamilton 2
7. Felipe Massa 2
8. Nico Rossburg
9. Michael Schumacher
10. Kamui Kobyashi

Total = 15 points

Igard -

1. Hamilton 5
2. Raikkonen 2
3. Vettel 2
4. Alonso 2
5. Grosjean 2
6. Webber
7. Massa 2
8. Hulkenberg 5
9. Schumacher
10. Maldonado 2

Total = 20 points

Funny how all 3 of us got individually each of the top 3 correct. ;D

Kudos to Gag and Hooterville for getting their predictions in before quallie, you should get a bonus for that!

Igard said:
I thought that was an awesome race. Really enjoyed it. The green track just shows you what reducing the grip on these cars does for the racing.

Here's the top 10 from the race on Sunday -

1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Alonso
4. Massa
5. Button
6. Raikkonen
7. Grosjean
8. Hulkenberg
9. Maldonado
10. Senna

Toe's score -

1.Vettel 2
2.Button 2
3.Alonso 5
4.Hamilton 2
5.Massa 2
6.Raikkonen 5
7.Schumacher
8.Perez
9.Senna 2
10.Kobiyashi 2

Total = 22 points

Hooterville -

1. Fernando Alonso 2
2. Sebastian Vettal 5
3. Jenson Button 2
4. Kimi Raikkonen 2
5. Mark Webber
6. Lewis Hamilton 2
7. Felipe Massa 2
8. Nico Rossburg
9. Michael Schumacher
10. Kamui Kobyashi

Total = 15 points

Igard -

1. Hamilton 5
2. Raikkonen 2
3. Vettel 2
4. Alonso 2
5. Grosjean 2
6. Webber
7. Massa 2
8. Hulkenberg 5
9. Schumacher
10. Maldonado 2

Total = 20 points

Funny how all 3 of us got individually each of the top 3 correct. ;D

Kudos to Gag and Hooterville for getting their predictions in before quallie, you should get a bonus for that!

Not trying to be rude or anything but after adding up Igards points again I get 22 LOL. It was a great race. Toe, can I ask why you omitted Webber from the top ten ? How did you know he was going to break early in the race hahahahaha. Seriously though one would have to think he was going to finish in the top five after starting P2.

Good spot Hooterville I failed to count Maldonado in that 10th place.

Better let someone who can count do this next time! :p

I sometimes pick someone for a DNF too. This time I went for Button and got it wrong. Alot of finishers in this race, it was good to see.

I agree. As green as the track was Im very surprised. Alot of cars got off course in practice in turn 19 but other then that there really wasnt many accidents or incidents during the entire weekend. Speaking of which brings to mind, has anyone heard on the status of Robert Kubica ? Will he ever return to F1 ? Whats everyone think of Sergio Perez going to McClarren next year ? I like him but felt there were other deserving that could have went before him. Perez brings alot of money with him but with McClarren Money isnt needed by the driver lol. Would like to see Rossburg get a better ride. Has to stink for him knowing he will be #2 at Mercedes next year with Hamilton coming in.

IS anyone stoaked as I am to be attending the F1 race in NJ in 2014 ? If any of you want to go let me know and when I get tickets, Ill order for all of us and we can attend together. That would be a blast.

well, I think Perez would do a good job in a McLaren no doubt. About Kubica...I think I read on the BBC website that he isn't ready for single seaters because of his accident. His arm isn't good enough currently...strange that he can do Rally though, one needs his arms for that as well, and a lot of steering movements to do ::)

I really would like to see D'Ambrosio in a good car as a driver in stead of a test driver...but sadly, he doesn't bring as much of money as other drivers :-\

Would love to attend my home grand prix some day, at the most beautiful circuit of the world that is: Spa Franchorchamps....hate it that tickets are that expensive!!!! :mad:

Anywhoo, looking forward to last race, hope I don't have to work again!

Cheers

Latest posts

Back