What to use‽

GaryG64

I'm working on the panel lines on the F-4C. I saw on YouTube a modeler slathered his wash all over his aircraft. Then he cleaned off the excess with mineral spirits. I have been using Vallejo Model wash black and the mineral spirits does not phase the wash at all. So, now I have been using moistened cotton buds. It works OK but leaves a shady look around the highlighted lines. (Please see attached pics.)

Am I doing something wrong in order to use the wash?
Am I supposed to use an oil paint wash?

20240811_210805.jpg

20240811_210813.jpg

I'm working on the panel lines on the F-4C. I saw on YouTube a modeler slathered his wash all over his aircraft. Then he cleaned off the excess with mineral spirits. I have been using Vallejo Model wash black and the mineral spirits does not phase the wash at all. So, now I have been using moistened cotton buds. It works OK but leaves a shady look around the highlighted lines. (Please see attached pics.)

Am I doing something wrong in order to use the wash?
Am I supposed to use an oil paint wash?

View attachment 121777

View attachment 121778
I have had a similar problem on a build and would be very interested in what the response is to your question. Pantherman

Isn't the Vallejo an acrylic ?
Not compatible with mineral spirits .
Use mineral spirits with oil base ( enamel )
Oil base being either alkyd or linseed

Isn't the Vallejo an acrylic ?
Not compatible with mineral spirits .
Use mineral spirits with oil base ( enamel )
Oil base being either alkyd or linseed
Ok. Thanks, Keith.
And to be clear. Does the subject have to have a gloss coat first for the oil paint to work effectively?

Latest posts

Back