Which A10

papaof2

Looking at the Italeri or the Academy kit. Apparently Tamiya is not very good. Need your opinions. 1/48 scale

Last edited:
I have heard the Italeri kit is nice. I think my Tamiya kit was a fluke that it went together with no issues.

which scale...1/72 or 1/48?

I have the Academy and Italeri Hasegawa in 1/72. Both have fit issues and are old molds.
They both have pros and cons

The engines on the Italeri Hasegawa look better, the Academy seems to be a weird shape.
Something just looks off about them

The Italeri Hasegawa has raised panels lines while the Academy has engraved, but some details are a little better on the Italeri

A combo of both is actually not a bad option

Really, if I had both kits unbuilt, I would take the Academy kit, but use the Hasegawa Engines and tail fins.
They have nearly the same construction as the Academy kit seems to be a copy of the Hasegawa kit, but with a few retooled parts and engraved lines.

The parts seem nearly interchangeable

I can get some pics if interested

As far as 1/48, I think the Academy newly released kit is amazing ( new as in the last year or two) and is probably the best in that scale

Last edited:
actually looking into it more, it seems the Academy kit is "just a less accurate recessed panel line (heavy) version of the Hasegawa kit."

Maybe I am misremembering if it is the Italeri or Hasegawa kit I have. I actually did not build it, but rescued it from my brothers trash bin

Looking at the Italeri or the Academy kit. Apparently Tamiya is not very good. Need your opinions. 1/48 scale
Don't sell yourself short on Tamiya. Tamiya kits are fantastic "shake and bake" kits. I've built several Tamiya kits. They practically build themselves.

Stay away from Italeri kits! They're pure garbage. Everything is wrong scale wise and nothing fits nor looks right. I did a Viper kit and the belly tank was too big and didn't fit right. Gets in the way with nose gear door. I'm sorry I even built that POS of a kit. Don't believe me? Ask around in other forums. They'll tell you the same thing.

The Revell A-10 Warthog isn't too bad. Definitely a big bird once completed. The only downside with the Revell kit is there's not much choices for armaments in their kits.

I'd get either the Tamiya, Academy, or HobbyBoss kit. Do stay away from Italeri. You'll thank me later.

Decided on the Academy. BTW working on a 1/72 F22 at the moment. Never again 1/72. Just not compatible with 69 yo eyes and shaky hands. I'm pretty good with the small stuff but damn. Cockpit seat is only 1/4" wide. Only bought it after wife fell in love with one at an airshow. It was pretty incredible.

NO, all Tamiya kits are NOT shake and bake, the A-10 is one that isnt. Nor is their F-15C. Both of those are old molds that keep getting reissued.

NO, all Italeri are NOT out of scale or junk. Yes, that 16 is a kit with issues, but, for instance, the 1/48 F-84 is excellent. Again, just depends on the kit.

As to the original question, NO ONE seems to be able to get the A-10 right. Even that brand spanking new Academy has some things that need upgrades. BUT, it IS likely the best one now.

NO, all Tamiya kits are NOT shake and bake, the A-10 is one that isnt. Nor is their F-15C. Both of those are old molds that keep getting reissued.

NO, all Italeri are NOT out of scale or junk. Yes, that 16 is a kit with issues, but, for instance, the 1/48 F-84 is excellent. Again, just depends on the kit.

As to the original question, NO ONE seems to be able to get the A-10 right. Even that brand spanking new Academy has some things that need upgrades. BUT, it IS likely the best one now.
Thank you sir!

I recently became enamored of Tamiya engineers, upon seeing and building a 330+ part 1/32 F4-U. It was a joy despite a few fiddly bits.

Now I am building a Tamiya F-16 in 1/48 (a much older design/mold, but I'm not positive) and the engineering and fit are WAAAY below that Corsair. Yet I remember so many really bad kits from my younger years, there's no chance it is on me, or my lack of skill, particularly at age 11...RIGHT?

actually looking into it more, it seems the Academy kit is "just a less accurate recessed panel line (heavy) version of the Hasegawa kit."

Maybe I am misremembering if it is the Italeri or Hasegawa kit I have. I actually did not build it, but rescued it from my brothers trash bin
Italeri is garbage. If you don't care about accuracies in the Academy kit, build the Academy kit.

Thank you sir!

I recently became enamored of Tamiya engineers, upon seeing and building a 330+ part 1/32 F4-U. It was a joy despite a few fiddly bits.

Now I am building a Tamiya F-16 in 1/48 (a much older design/mold, but I'm not positive) and the engineering and fit are WAAAY below that Corsair. Yet I remember so many really bad kits from my younger years, there's no chance it is on me, or my lack of skill, particularly at age 11...RIGHT?
Yes, that F-16 from Tamiya is NOT one of their better ones. Not as bad as the 15 or 10, but still not an elite kit. Certainly not on my gotta have list.

Latest posts

Back