who makes the best F-86 and Mig-15 in 1/48?

B

Black Sheep 1

One of the "gifts" I got was the complete set of the series "Dogfights" on DVD.
I've been watching the Vietnam and Korea series and now I want to build an F-86, Mig-15 and 17 and a Mig-21 and an F-4.

so, who makes the best F-86 and Mig 15 & 17? I already have the Hasegawa F-4 and the Eduard Mig-21.

Black Sheep 1 said:
Me too! 8)
There's a really nice Tamiya MiG-15 in 48th. A few marques of MiG-17 are available from Hobby Boss, which are considered to be really nice, and as for the F-86, Academy and Hasegawa are both great kits from what I've heard. Cheers

Hi Howard,

For the F-86 & MiG-17, I agree. However, the Tamiya MiG-15 is a nice kit but the sweep of the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces ore visibly off.

instr.jpg

There is a Ciro Models correction set but, if you start with the Trumpeter MiG-15, you need not worry as the angles are correct.

So, there you have it. Tamiya build quality but errors or Trumpeter build quality and less errors.

Regards,

MilitaryAircraft101 said:
Black Sheep 1 said:
Me too! 8)
There's a really nice Tamiya MiG-15 in 48th. A few marques of MiG-17 are available from Hobby Boss, which are considered to be really nice, and as for the F-86, Academy and Hasegawa are both great kits from what I've heard. Cheers

Great!
Thanks for the info.
I picked up two Academy F-86's at my lhs today.

sharkmouth said:
Hi Howard,

For the F-86 & MiG-17, I agree. However, the Tamiya MiG-15 is a nice kit but the sweep of the vertical and horizontal tail surfaces ore visibly off.

instr.jpg

There is a Ciro Models correction set but, if you start with the Trumpeter MiG-15, you need not worry as the angles are correct.

So, there you have it. Tamiya build quality but errors or Trumpeter build quality and less errors.

Regards,

Hi Saul,
Thanks for the info.
It looks like that Tamiya kit is long OOP so I'll have to settle for the Hobby Boss and the Trumpy kits.

sharkmouth said:
Hi Howard,

instr.jpg

Regards,

Well guess what I found on eBay?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320818563596?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
And it's all mine! ;D

Good haul!

Pay attention to the ejection seat and compare to the kit seat. ;)

Well, adding a resin tail does increase the likelihood that the model will be a tail sitter. In order to increase the weight within these parts, I decided to forgo the weight and add BBs instead. This allowed far more to be added and cyano-acrylate glue was used to secure them.

MiGAmIgo01.jpg
Here we see that I cut off the tail from the Tamiya kit and then glued the rear fuselage together. In the background, you can see the resin cockpit tub and the plastic one. To the right of that is the nose cone. I found this a convenient place to add more BBs. On the left side, there are two resin vertical tails. The one above has had the sprue gate cut to allow it to slot into the rear fuselage opening after cutting off the tail. To the right one can see the resin seat with the Tamiya headrest and the Tamiya seat it replaced. In the lower center one can compare the leading edge angles of the incorrect Tamiya parts to the resin ones.

MiGAmigo01.jpg
Here, the resin tail has been glued on. Buffing the joint will allow for a shiny NMF. The horizontal tail surface mounting slots have been opened. The resin horizontal tails have had the tabs cut to size and they are marked "Lewej" (Left) and "Prawej" (Right). The weighted nose cone was glued to the secondary intake piece shown on the sprue before. I was using the clear version of the Tamiya MiG-15 which includes secondary trunking. In untypical Tamiya fashion, the new piece did not allow the lower gun panel to fit properly and the opening on this piece was widened a bit and the inner side of the gun panel trimmed (see the gun panel to the right).

I had the Aires set and gave it away because it is a good introduction to resin cockpits. Nothing wrong with it, simply keeping my Trumpeter kits with their aftermarket.

Regards,

sharkmouth said:
Good haul!

Pay attention to the ejection seat and compare to the kit seat. ;)

Well, adding a resin tail does increase the likelihood that the model will be a tail sitter. In order to increase the weight within these parts, I decided to forgo the weight and add BBs instead. This allowed far more to be added and cyano-acrylate glue was used to secure them.

MiGAmIgo01.jpg
Here we see that I cut off the tail from the Tamiya kit and then glued the rear fuselage together. In the background, you can see the resin cockpit tub and the plastic one. To the right of that is the nose cone. I found this a convenient place to add more BBs. On the left side, there are two resin vertical tails. The one above has had the sprue gate cut to allow it to slot into the rear fuselage opening after cutting off the tail. To the right one can see the resin seat with the Tamiya headrest and the Tamiya seat it replaced. In the lower center one can compare the leading edge angles of the incorrect Tamiya parts to the resin ones.

MiGAmigo01.jpg
Here, the resin tail has been glued on. Buffing the joint will allow for a shiny NMF. The horizontal tail surface mounting slots have been opened. The resin horizontal tails have had the tabs cut to size and they are marked "Lewej" (Left) and "Prawej" (Right). The weighted nose cone was glued to the secondary intake piece shown on the sprue before. I was using the clear version of the Tamiya MiG-15 which includes secondary trunking. In untypical Tamiya fashion, the new piece did not allow the lower gun panel to fit properly and the opening on this piece was widened a bit and the inner side of the gun panel trimmed (see the gun panel to the right).

I had the Aires set and gave it away because it is a good introduction to resin cockpits. Nothing wrong with it, simply keeping my Trumpeter kits with their aftermarket.

Regards,

Oh man this is AWESOME help.
Thank you Saul for all these tips.

As it is, I had forgotten I had placed a bid for a second Tamiya kit and I won it too.
And lucky me, I had a certificate which payed for the kit (and still have about $1.00 and change left).
So I'll be doing some experimenting with this.

Again, thanks for the help.

I have some pictures of a F-86 seat from the Wings Over the Rockies. Let me know and I'll post and/or send them to you.

wyoroy said:
I have some pictures of a F-86 seat from the Wings Over the Rockies. Let me know and I'll post and/or send them to you.

Oh yeah, thanks!
That would be great if you could post them here so everyone can benefit from that as well.

Ask and you shall recieve. I was there last Friday, 30 Dec, for my birthday. I hit the big 50 ;D

WingsoftheRockiesRoysBirthday020-1.jpg

WingsoftheRockiesRoysBirthday021.jpg

WingsoftheRockiesRoysBirthday022.jpg

WingsoftheRockiesRoysBirthday024.jpg

WingsoftheRockiesRoysBirthday023.jpg

Well, I got these is last week.
Got them on Ebay.

IMG_0857.jpg
As you can see the one on the right came with the aftermarket tail corrections as well as a resin cockpit.
The one on the left however has no aftermarket.

You already bought 15s but if anyone else is searching for MiG-15 in 48 i think
you should check out Trumpeter kit. I haven't built it yet, but it seems like a nice kit.
Engine is kit for itself, recessed panel lines and i haven't noticed a place where there
should be a fit problem.

PS Black Sheep i have book (pdf) on MiG-15 so i can send it to you. Just
pm me with your email if you want.

FlipFlop said:
if anyone else is searching for MiG-15 in 48 i think you should check out Trumpeter kit.

Yes, I did mention the Trumpeter kit (in regards to not needing the rear tail plane sweep correction.

Regards,

Latest posts

Back