Your suggestion of the kit that's drenched in absolute fun

JMac

cut. glue. paint. repeat.
Every now and again here on the forum you see posts for what is the best kit, or whats the most accurate kit. On rare occasions I've even seen a topic or video along the lines of "totally stay away from this kit" (Grendels 747 shuttle transporter comes to mind). But what about the build that brought you the most enjoyment? It's a hobby right, should be fun and relaxing.

For me, I think it was either my Hasegawa Queen of Night VF22S (fit was great) or my Trumpeter Wyvern build. I tried new modelling techniques with them, and finished up with something superior to any build I had done prior. I also really enjoyed my Tamiya Spitfire build for the Battle of Britain GB also. It turned in to a comfort and decompression time when parts of my life at the time were really difficult and I was uncertain about the possible futures I was facing.

So how about you guys, favourite builds? Which builds left you feeling content at the end?

Jason

Most Tamiya 1/48 aircraft kits. They pretty much fall together and have pretty good detail to boot.

SoarinSukhoi said:
Most Tamiya 1/48 aircraft kits. They pretty much fall together and have pretty good detail to boot.

Yes, most definitely, especially the Corsairs, Jugs and Mustags. My experience with Tamiya has been for the most part, quite favorable. I really recommend thier F-16s as well. Id liek to try some of thir more recent armor kits.

The Fine Molds 1/72 X-Wing is a gem as well, Id love to try a few more of the SW kits.

I think mine has to be the dragon wagon from tamia, I still need to do the trailer, but I really enjoyed building it was easy for its size and it took me about 2 months to build wich Is a long time for me.

For me you can't beat tamiya on quality but thet can lack in detail but it's either salt or pepper, right? Right!

In the last year: Hasagawa Egg plane space shuttle version. A really nice little kit. Loved the astronaut.

20110115_8.jpg

Right now the MPC Millennium Falcon believe it or not! I am having a blast removing bad details and fixing her up.

Worst kit ever: Jmac nailed it: Academy 747 space shuttle transport.

Starfix probably made the worst kits and I don't know if that is even up for debate. Tauro made some bad kits as well. They had lots of detail, but everything was poorly molded, the flash would sometimes span parts of a sprue, the decals were awful, nothing would fit, etc.

The Tamiya 1/48 armor kits go together really easy too, but they lack detail and in cases like their M4s and M10 the complete bottom of the sponsons which shouldn't really be missing on the first place, especially on the M10 since it has an interior so when you look in to see the interior you see straight to the tracks.

I have a few of Eduard's 1/48 MiG-21s which are supposed to fall together, though, they do have a lot of small parts.

CyberHobby's 1/48 Bf 110s are really nice kits as well. I've seen a few builds where they have fit issues and other builds where they have none. I won't know till I build one of mine.

The most fun model is probably one of those awful models you'll never build and just stand up the sprues [only polystyrene] and take a torch or something to them and end up with an odd looking thing that you can paint in crazy colors and sell to a modern art museum.

I've enjoyed building most of Accurate Minatures' offerings from their own line...but the ones that stand out were their Avenger line...truly masterpieces!

I agree with you guys, poor fit or a crappy engineered kit can totally wreck the building experience (good fit and well thought out engineering are points where Tamiyas kits often shine). Sometimes though don't you guys enjoy just sprucing-up a vintage kit (kind of like that MPC Falcon)?

Grendels - the egg plane shuttle videos were kind of cool to watch because, now that I think of it, it looked like even though it went sideways at times, you still enjoyed it.

Carsenault - I'd love to try some Fine Molds kits, I've heard nothing but good. Star Wars, but maybe also a float plane from Porco Rosso. That might fun.

Jeeves - I'll have to check out the Accurate Minatures kits also, I haven't seen any locally however ???

JMac said:
Grendels - the egg plane shuttle videos were kind of cool to watch because, now that I think of it, it looked like even though it went sideways at times, you still enjoyed it.

I really did enjoy building up that shuttle. So much so that when I found out they released a SR-71 egg plane I went out and bought it. It is waiting for my next quick build.

I can't remember who it was but someone here on the forum built an egg plane zero a while back. I'm pretty sure that at the end of the build they had posted that it was a fun little stress free build. The IPMS chapter here in Edmonton has an egg plane GB / fun contest - think I'll participate. Hasagawa has an egg plane VF-1 Valkyrie, and I heard that other manufacturers are producing egg plane kits.

JMac said:
I can't remember who it was but someone here on the forum built an egg plane zero a while back. I'm pretty sure that at the end of the build they had posted that it was a fun little stress free build. The IPMS chapter here in Edmonton has an egg plane GB / fun contest - think I'll participate. Hasagawa has an egg plane VF-1 Valkyrie, and I heard that other manufacturers are producing egg plane kits.

That might be me you're thinking of...Posted this a while back...
108.jpg
final5.jpg

I really do love these little kits, built six of them so far and I have two more in the stash, very enjoyable, fun little projects these egg planes are.

Also all of the reissued Maschinen Krieger (Ma.K) kits from Wave and Hasegawa are really nice here is one I finished about a year ago
1f06efad.jpg

I have to say my Dragon 38(t) with the full interior was the most fun I had with a Kit. It cost around $30 USD and was like building 3 kits in one engine, fighting compartment and the tank itself. All the hatches could be posed open and the upper hull fit so good that I didn't have to glue it down and I can access the interior anytime I want to get a peek. Very fun.

DSC02761.jpg

DSC02771.jpg

DSC02777.jpg

That was the egg-plane I was thinking of Mr.Natural. I was looking at that very box - for our IPMS egg plane build, think I might get a Macross one instead though.

I keep telling myself to try some of the MaK kits out there - they look cool, and lots of modelers say thay are a great build...

Rentar1 -Wow :eek: that's wicked. Great work man.

Latest posts

Back