1/48 Mig-21 (Eduard 8237)

Edbert

Just sayin'

1721778976670.png

Building up my "modern aircraft" repertoire!

There was a discussion in another thread about the interior colors, I think that is settled, but I tried researching the colors used on interior (non-cockpit) colors. There were basically 3 answers:
1.) A grey that does resemble RLM02​
2.) A Light greenish that resembles Zinc Chromate​
3.) The ubiquitous turquoise green thought to be cockpit only​

So I kept digging and I found this...yes...all three main opinions in one photo...Communists being what they are I guess.

wheel-well-of-an-old-fighter-jet-selective-focus-2G4R411.jpg
Which I think shows all four possible answers.

Just sayin'

View attachment 120682

Building up my "modern aircraft" repertoire!

There was a discussion in another thread about the interior colors, I think that is settled, but I tried researching the colors used on interior (non-cockpit) colors. There were basically 3 answers:
1.) A grey that does resemble RLM02
2.) A Light greenish that resembles Zinc Chromate
3.) The ubiquitous turquoise green thought to be cockpit only​

So I kept digging and I found this...yes...all three main opinions in one photo...Communists being what they are I guess.

View attachment 120683
Which I think shows all four possible answers.
Well researched. Pantherman

Cockpit went together very well, a slight mismatch on the color, paint (AK11144) and PE are a little different. Fuselage halves are NOT glued, just test fitting and holding with tape at this time.

1721926873345.png

Yes the throttle has been painted since this shot.

1721926945079.png

Since my attraction to models was replaced by video games during much of my life, I find it interesting that in 2024 I can see the blending of both.

Check out this thread from "DCS" one of the greatest flight simulators ever, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/34609...wn-by-nguyen-van-coc-1968-updated-for-dcs-29/

This is the specific aircraft I am building.

1722032946458.png

I think the edges of those splotches should be more feathered, but the author is a gamer not a modeler :)

I am thinking of putting the light green as a SUPER-thin coat of the darker green on top of silver, do you see any issues with that plan? I think it is what was done in the field.

I cannot say how I screwed up, but my ejections seat would NOT fit.

Interesting that the instructions have building the cockpit and inserting it between fuselage halves so soon, but show to build the seat much later. I'd urge anyone building this to build the seat at the same time as the pit, and test fit then!

1722212793370.png
I pulled out the Dispae sander, but it was underpowered for the task. Had to get Medieval with metal grinding bits to wedge the seat between the bolsters.

1722213045587.png

I cannot say how I screwed up, but my ejections seat would NOT fit.

Interesting that the instructions have building the cockpit and inserting it between fuselage halves so soon, but show to build the seat much later. I'd urge anyone building this to build the seat at the same time as the pit, and test fit then!

View attachment 120967
I pulled out the Dispae sander, but it was underpowered for the task. Had to get Medieval with metal grinding bits to wedge the seat between the bolsters.

View attachment 120968
Are you sure you're not building a re-boxed Revell?

After a 1st pass with the two greens...

1722865416379.png

When I did it there was no intention of having a 2nd pass, but as I am still learning (slower than I'd like) to wean myself off of Model Master enamels and onto XF acrylics, I am having issues modulating my thinner. I switched to X20 since apparently using water or isopropyl was not correct.

The issue is, from time to time, the mixture gets extra thin and despite low pressure the air causes it to run. I've seen this before with water on a humid day, but my trap was clear. Not sure if it is settling in the cup or what. I've been stopping every few minutes and using a pipet to "stir" seems to help.

Just my daily reminder that I'm a newb.

1722866099465.png
What looks okay from a distance shows the runs I'm complaining about if you look closer. You can see it did not happen on all of the splotches.

I intend to make another pass with the green (straight XF-5) a little ticker and touch up the worst spots. I'll use my magnifier this time, and stop if I am making things worse.

View attachment 121415

When I did it there was no intention of having a 2nd pass, but as I am still learning (slower than I'd like) to wean myself off of Model Master enamels and onto XF acrylics, I am having issues modulating my thinner. I switched to X20 since apparently using water or isopropyl was not correct.

The issue is, from time to time, the mixture gets extra thin and despite low pressure the air causes it to run. I've seen this before with water on a humid day, but my trap was clear. Not sure if it is settling in the cup or what. I've been stopping every few minutes and using a pipet to "stir" seems to help.

View attachment 121416
What looks okay from a distance shows the runs I'm complaining about if you look closer. You can see it did not happen on all of the splotches.

I intend to make another pass with the green (straight XF-5) a little ticker and touch up the worst spots. I'll use my magnifier this time, and stop if I am making things worse.
Well I think it looks fantastic, I'm really liking the camo and the runs you speak of are barely noticeable (but you know they are there OCD devil again). Pantherman

View attachment 121415

View attachment 121416

This is amazing! I love the camouflage!

View attachment 121415

View attachment 121416

You did a fantastic job on this paint job. A little touch up and I would call it perfect.
I do not thin my Tamiya XF (or X) paint and I have not had any issues with it.

I managed to make improvements. I think I am just using too much thinner, used to 50-50 and sometimes more thin than that.

The pass I made today was more like 33% thinner, and it solved much of the runs splatters. I did have issues with tip-drying though. These XF paints dry SO FAST! I had intended to use it straight, but it is just too thick for my detail tip which I think is 0.35mm. I have a 0.5mm tip but wanted these camo splotches small.

Anyway, here's the same section of wing I posted earlier. I'd say this is better but not perfect. Some of the glossy looking spots will go away with varnish.

1722971966733.png

I managed to make improvements. I think I am just using too much thinner, used to 50-50 and sometimes more thin than that.

The pass I made today was more like 33% thinner, and it solved much of the runs splatters. I did have issues with tip-drying though. These XF paints dry SO FAST! I had intended to use it straight, but it is just too thick for my detail tip which I think is 0.35mm. I have a 0.5mm tip but wanted these camo splotches small.

Anyway, here's the same section of wing I posted earlier. I'd say this is better but not perfect. Some of the glossy looking spots will go away with varnish.

View attachment 121574
I have a few Citadel and Vallejo paints which I do try and thin somewhat. What I do with the thicker paint is turn up the compressor and close the knob on the back of my brush to the desired opening.
But my thinner paints, like Vallejo Air do dry the tip often.

Latest posts

Back