1/48 Mig-21 (Eduard 8237)

Well, I decided that having nine kits "active" at one time was too much. I've put aside a few of them that were under construction, including some that were 60-80% done in order to try and finish the four that were 90+% done. That would be this Spitfire, but also the Mig-21, F-16 and F4U-1A.

To wit, I present the finished Fishbed...

1727822647670.png

1727822706446.png

1727822730344.png

1727822745579.png

1727822665696.png

Very nice, great job with the paint, ive just finished one of these in Slovakian paint scheme, a nice kit to build.

Well, I decided that having nine kits "active" at one time was too much. I've put aside a few of them that were under construction, including some that were 60-80% done in order to try and finish the four that were 90+% done. That would be this Spitfire, but also the Mig-21, F-16 and F4U-1A.

To wit, I present the finished Fishbed...

View attachment 125746

View attachment 125748

View attachment 125749

View attachment 125750

View attachment 125747
That's looks amazing. What size needle and pressure did you use to achieve this?

That's looks amazing. What size needle and pressure did you use to achieve this?
Hard thing to nail down, being honest. I'm learning (as someone who is somehow challenged) that "acrylic" paint does not mean the 1970s poster-crap. To add to that there's at least 3 (maybe 10, my head spins) different types, which all want their special thinner.

I do not use a tank (required for anything "precise" as to pressure), but in general I dilute at LEAST 50% for the airbrush and run under 20PSI often tuning down to 12 or so. I learned the airbrush with watercolors, no modelling by me for the 1st ten years I owned one! But that method/discipline (watercolor is all about preserving white space) transfers well to this space. Spray thin, chill out, keep going, that has worked well for me.

My brush uses a 0.05 nozzle/needle (Iwata, gravity-feed, dual-action), I am always between 12 and 20 PSI, with HEAVILY diluted paint.

Being patient and understanding that modern acrylics are fragile AF(!!), sigh...again...I am learning.

Last edited:
Hard thing to nail down, being honest. I'm learning (as someone who is somehow challenged) that "acrylic" paint does not mean the 1970s poster-crap. To add to that there's at least 3 (maybe 10, my head spins) different types, which all want their special thinner.

I do not use a tank (required for anything "precise" as to pressure), but in general I dilute at LEAST 50% for the airbrush and run under 20PSI often tuning down to 12 or so. I learned the airbrush with watercolors, no modelling by me for the 1st ten years I owned one! But that method/discipline (watercolor is all about preserving white space) transfers well to this space. Spray thin, chill out, keep going, that has worked well for me.

My brush uses a 0.05 nozzle/needle (Iwata, gravity-feed, dual-action), I am always between 12 and 20 PSI, with HEAVILY diluted paint.

Being patient and understanding that modern acrylics are fragile AF(!!), sigh...again...I am learning.
You did a great job, brother.
I still paint with water color from time to time, mimicking Charles Reid. I love his "loose" style.

Latest posts

Back