1860s Chuck Wagon.

CC Museum

Good morning.

I am sorry if this is not the best forum for this model, but neither 'automotive' nor 'watercraft' seemed a very good fit, either. Please feel free to move it if there is a better fit. I've also done a simple thread search but did not seem to find anything to help me.

We are attempting to build a wood & metal, 1/12 scale cowboy chuckwagon, from Model Trailways. The manufacturer recommends types of glues and paints, but for obvious reasons, doesn't mention specific brands. Also, we're new to this type of model (having built dozens of WWII era vehicles as a kid). What I'm asking is if you all have recommendations for some of the basic tools to acquire, what glues to use, and what sort of paint works best with what are mostly basswood parts.

I'm certain that you'll have a lot of specific questions before you can give good advice. Please ask them and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Thank you for your time.

Welcome to SMA !

this post is fine where it is .
Any PVA glue is fine for the wood components .
Any CA , super glue , for metal parts .
Basically .
Any paint with proper prep .

Yeah , more info needed for specifics .

I joined only a short time before you, but welcome! This is the friendliest model site I've come across and many here post regularly.

First tip:
Listen to urumomo for any topic related to chemistry and ignore me on the same :)

Will you be bending the wood and the metal to make this?

I'll take the chemistry advice, except that you just gave me chemistry advice and advised that I should ignore you! I'm getting dizzy.

As for bending, yes there will be some. Bending simulated iron tires on the wheels, and the wooden bows that supported the canvas. I haven't read the instructions too closely yet, but they suggest soaking them in water overnight, and then clamping them to a jig (for which there is a printed card that we might need to fabricate ourselves.

Latest posts

Back