Acrylic retarder?

Another question.
What to do with dirty Tamiya thinner? I use it to clean my brushes and I'm not sure if I can still use the dirty thinner to thin dark colors.

You can if you're not trying to achieve a smooth finish .
The used thinner will not have the same proportion of alcohol and water as fresh thinner but that might not matter for the application .
Best to pour it thru a filter first ,
or buy more thinner

.... did you send all your money to Revell or something ? lol

You can if you're not trying to achieve a smooth finish .
The used thinner will not have the same proportion of alcohol and water as fresh thinner but that might not matter for the application .
Best to pour it thru a filter first ,
or buy more thinner

.... did you send all your money to Revell or something ? lol
Not quite. I seem to have sent a lot to Tamiya recently though.

Are you spraying or brushing and what brand of paint are you using? If it's Tamiya then why not use their thinner for the paint and use the alcohol to clean your brushes?

I recently switched my paint to Tamiya. I bought the entire X and XF line of colors. It seemed like a waste to clean my brushes and AB with Tamiya thinner. I didn't try to clean with alcohol. I will give that a go.
I clean my AB with lacquer thinner.

Yeah, I don't use Tamiya's acrylic thinner to clean my airbrush, only for thinning the Tamiya acrylics. I use the thinner when handbrushing Tamiya acrylics, but again, not to clean the brushes. I use isopropyl to clean, for the same reason you mention, Tim. My experience with Tamiya acrylics is that isopropyl doesn't thin them as well as the proprietary thinner, but it's sufficient to clean the brushes.

As far as the used thinner goes, I have Tamiya's little jar, 3/4 oz, and I use that when hand-brushing. Any paint residue settles out, so I don't notice any effect. I also have the larger plastic bottle, which is my reservoir for thinning and mixing for airbrushing.

I use hardware store lacquer thinner when airbrushing Tamiya acrylics. Lacquer thinner helps with leveling. Ialso use lacquer thinner to clean my airbrush exclusively.

Certain acrylic paint brands DO NOT play nice with lacquer thinner - PollyScale and Mr. Color paints. PollyScale works best with water, Mr. Color…use their brand thinner.

I never had issues handbrushing Tamiya paints straight out of the bottle since most of my hand painting is usually done on detail pieces (cockpit details, instrument panels, handles of aircraft control stick, etc…)
I don't bother wasting my money on leveling garbage since I've been building model kits for 50 plus years and saw no need for it. I guess it's because I figured out what works best and what doesn't over the years.

But… I'm not endorsing anybody not to buy that stuff. I leave it up to the individual. After all, it's his/her money… not mine.

I recently switched my paint to Tamiya. I bought the entire X and XF line of colors. It seemed like a waste to clean my brushes and AB with Tamiya thinner. I didn't try to clean with alcohol. I will give that a go.
I clean my AB with lacquer thinner.
Yes try it. I use Tamiya paints and alcohol cleans the airbrush out just fine. I use Tamiya thinner to thin and have never needed to add retarder when airbrushing but I do use the retarder if I have to brush small parts or do touch ups. I tried the lacquer thinner to clean, but I just don't care for the fumes and the alcohol does the job just as well without the smell or harmful chemicals. Good luck with your endeavor and I hope this helps.

Yeah, I don't use Tamiya's acrylic thinner to clean my airbrush, only for thinning the Tamiya acrylics. I use the thinner when handbrushing Tamiya acrylics, but again, not to clean the brushes. I use isopropyl to clean, for the same reason you mention, Tim. My experience with Tamiya acrylics is that isopropyl doesn't thin them as well as the proprietary thinner, but it's sufficient to clean the brushes.

As far as the used thinner goes, I have Tamiya's little jar, 3/4 oz, and I use that when hand-brushing. Any paint residue settles out, so I don't notice any effect. I also have the larger plastic bottle, which is my reservoir for thinning and mixing for airbrushing.
Same.. across the board.

Why? Use lacquer thinner instead. It helps with self leveling of your paints… Yes, you can use lacquer thinner with Tamiya acrylics.

I've not used the Tamiya acrylics but I've heard Mr. Hobby Leveling Lacquer Thinner is perfection with these "Acrylic" paints.
What difference which lacquer thinner you use? Hardware thinner from Walmart has leveling properties in it. I've been using it for over 20 years with no issues with Tamiya acrylics.

Mr. Hobby Leveling lacquer thinner, 400 ml for $12 - $17depending where you get it. Really stinky too

Walmart lacquer thinner, 1 quart for $10. Not as stinky

I'd rather spend $10 for the quart. LOL!

What difference which lacquer thinner you use? Hardware thinner from Walmart has leveling properties in it. I've been using it for over 20 years with no issues with Tamiya acrylics.

Mr. Hobby Leveling lacquer thinner, 400 ml for $12 - $17depending where you get it. Really stinky too

Walmart lacquer thinner, 1 quart for $10. Not as stinky

I'd rather spend $10 for the quart. LOL!
Glad that works for you. I'll use the cheaper thinners to clean the airbrush when spraying anything but water based acrylics.

I ordered some propylene glycol and received two 16oz bottles. I will never go through this much.

View attachment 121921
Goodgoobledeegoop yes it will last you a long long time. I still have the bottle of Tamiya retarder I bought 5 years ago and it's quite full. Be careful because you don't want paint that takes days to dry like Uromomo mentioned. Unless you are living in a really dry climate like a desert, then I could see that really coming in handy. I'm in humidity land myself hence the long lasting barely used Tamiya retarder.

Goodgoobledeegoop yes it will last you a long long time. I still have the bottle of Tamiya retarder I bought 5 years ago and it's quite full. Be careful because you don't want paint that takes days to dry like Uromomo mentioned. Unless you are living in a really dry climate like a desert, then I could see that really coming in handy. I'm in humidity land myself hence the long lasting barely used Tamiya retarder.
I agree. That's why I have no use for retarder. Most of my painting is done in my dry cellar all year round.

Latest posts

Back