Airbrush Needle Question

hooterville75

I did exactly what I was afraid of happening and dropped my new Airbrush last evening. It bent the tip of the needle. How will this effect the performance of the airbrush ? Will it still perform ok or should I order a replacement ASAP ? Also, I noticed while looking at replacement needles that their is a fine needle and a medium needle. What is the differences between the two and which should I order to replace the bent needle tip in mine ? The Airbrush is a Badger Patriot 105.

You'll need a new tip (nozzle) and needle. If you bent the needle, you twangd the tip (nozzle). You might be able to bend them straight, but I doubt it and you won't have the same performance. That's the heart and soul of the airbrush. Don't set the needle too tight either or you will damage the nozzle.

As to the fine and medium, it depends on what you're painting. Fine is getting pressure and thinning down to pencil lines. Medium is for painting large areas. (I'd go fine fine for scale models.)

Hey Hooter,
I would get a new needle for it. I have the same A.B. I love it by the way. You should have gotten an extra nozzel with it so you may not need to get one of those. Good luck.

adampolo13 said:
Hey Hooter,
I would get a new needle for it. I have the same A.B. I love it by the way. You should have gotten an extra nozzel with it so you may not need to get one of those. Good luck.

If it came with two needls and two tips, one is fine and the other is medium. You can't swap them. Like a fine needle and use a medium tip. You need a new fine tip and fine needle. Paired.

Hi, HV, same here, I bent one of the finer needles for my Paasche VL once, and tried to true it up on a piece of plate glass, but the best is to get a new needle and a nozzle.

Ken Abrams said:
Gundamhead said:
If it came with two needls and two tips, one is fine and the other is medium.

The Patriot is a single needle/nozzle configuration, eliminating the need for multiple needle/nozzle variations.

So I can get away with just ordering a needle ? I dont need the medium needle. Anything I paint scale model wise, I can use the Patriot for because Im not really doing larger areas. If I would need to do a larger area Ill just fire up my old first ever Aztek airbrush propellent system lol. Thanks for the info guys.

Gundamhead said:
If it came with two needls and two tips, one is fine and the other is medium. You can't swap them.

The Patriot is a single needle/nozzle configuration, eliminating the need for multiple needle/nozzle variations.

hooterville75 said:
So I can get away with just ordering a needle ?

No, you may still need the nozzle as well as it could have gotten damaged too.

hooterville75 said:
I dont need the medium needle.

The medium needle you saw in the exploded drawing are not Patriot specific parts and do not come with it. They are 'Adaptable' parts that one could use if they desired to do so.

patriot_zpseb46ddb0.jpg

Thanks for that info Ken. So to make sure I'm ordering the right parts, I want to order one of each of 51-81DT (Fine Needle), and 41-003 (Fine Tip) correct ? I don't want to place an order, get the parts and not have ordered the wrong parts or definite parts I need lol. Thanks for the info.

I'm sure the woman you spoke to will send you the Patriot specific parts, not the others (which may be from the Cresendo?) I wouldn't worry about it. (but yes, that's what I gather from the drawing)

In fact, I'd send it to them and have them fix it for free as per their policy (I think you just pay postage). ;)

I'm getting ready to go back down to my man cave here at 3:45 when the little one gets home from school to inspect my first base coat of paint this AM. Want to see if that spot is gone or still there and just analyze things. If it worked ok and no major issues, I'm going to assume that the airbrush is still working properly just needs the new replacement parts. If its working ok and needing parts, I think I would rather order off the internet and just fix it myself that way I can continue using it till the spare parts get here. Id hate to have that down time and not be able to do anything because I cant paint anything. Will have to wait and see how things turned out from this AM though. This is addicting man lol. Down time would stink lol. Were the two parts I mentioned the proper parts I need to order though ? I know the needle is but am kind of confused as to the second part people were mentioning Id need.

Yes, the part numbers you posted are correct.

Just look at the drawing and it's the parts above the red circles that are standard and what came with yours. The needle and the nozzle.

Latest posts

Back