Aircraft scale rulers... any value?

BGilbertSound

Hi everyone- I'm seeking some opinions here. Below are some photos of a little side project that I've been working on. Using my laser cutter, I've made two simple rulers for common model aircraft scales- 1:144, 1:72, 1:48 and 1:32. They're made from painted strips of white oak hardwood. My question is, does this have any value to anybody? I'm thinking of selling them on eBay for something like $10 for the pair (they're double-sided), but I'm not sure how actually useful they would be. Thanks for your thoughts!

Rulers1.jpgRulers3.jpg

As someone with little experience in the 21st century, I can offer my opinion for what it is worth.

I think scaled rulers would be very useful, but only for a subset of crafters/modelers. Maybe I'm wrong, but the few times I have to measure something it is when the kit says cut this wire or cable to 1.8cm or something, there's no scale mentioned.

I build primarily aircraft, so I would not find these useful if I am honest, but folks who build dioramas or those into electric trains have to build a lot of their stuff by hand, from scratch. So having a scaled ruler in 1/35 scale of maybe "HO" (if that is still a thing) would be better customers, at least more in number.

EDIT TO ADD:
I love how you left a bit of the edge there with a clearly visible line as the starting point!

As someone with little experience in the 21st century, I can offer my opinion for what it is worth.

I think scaled rulers would be very useful, but only for a subset of crafters/modelers. Maybe I'm wrong, but the few times I have to measure something it is when the kit says cut this wire or cable to 1.8cm or something, there's no scale mentioned.

I build primarily aircraft, so I would not find these useful if I am honest, but folks who build dioramas or those into electric trains have to build a lot of their stuff by hand, from scratch. So having a scaled ruler in 1/35 scale of maybe "HO" (if that is still a thing) would be better customers, at least more in number.

EDIT TO ADD:
I love how you left a bit of the edge there with a clearly visible line as the starting point!
Actually, that's an accident, It's nearly impossible to place these on the laser at exactly zero, so there should always be a liitle tiny space. These are prototypes though. BTW, there are HO scale rulers... I have one that I bought from maybe the last train store in NYC, that was a fun trip. Thanks for your thoughts!

I think these would be useful for scratch building projects like 1/48 dioramas.

This type of ruler is already out there, a common tool easily found,
one ruler, 5 scales.
1:72 1:24 1:48
Screen Shot 2024-06-13 at 6.41.56 AM.png
1:25 1:35
Screen Shot 2024-06-13 at 6.42.30 AM.png

Use the ruler to measure the model and figure out the scale or closest thereof for the model you're building, work that angle.
V
"think scaled rulers would be very useful, but only for a subset of crafters/modelers. Maybe I'm wrong, but the few times I have to measure something it is when the kit says cut this wire or cable to 1.8cm or something, there's no scale mentioned."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back