Automotive Kit Quality

Blaze

This isn't meant to be a rant or first post troll question so please keep that in mind. I've been building for many years mostly 1:35 scale Armor and 1:48 scale aircraft occasional sci-fi, dioramas etc. Recently I decided to try adding auto's to my collection. I like cars, just never built them. I figured they could add some color and some flare to my display cabinets as well as help tune up my painting/finishing skills. That said I have been really disappointed in kit quality especially given large scale 1:24 and 1:25. Everything seems thick, poorly molded, lacking detail and just plain poorly executed from instructions and packaging to wheels and tires. I though it might just be kit age of the older AMT and MPC kits found at Hobby Lobby. Therefore I went and found a 'New Tooled' 71 Dodge Demon from MPC (like 60s-70s muscle cars) but while better still looks and feels dated. Especially if you compare it to a new aircraft tooling from Mini Art like the P-47D-25RE I bought recently. What gives? Is there no high quality manufactures delivering great quality out of the box? I also understand there's a big price gap between my examples but I'd be willing to pay for a premium kit and would bet others would too. I bought a Tamiya NSX which is good but even it felt a bit weak when compared to their own line of aircraft and armor kits. Wonder why auto's don't get more love, you'd think they'd have the biggest market too. I guess it'll have to come down to dedication and skill but I find it easy to give up or abandon projects when they become more work than they are an enjoyable hobby.

Welcome to SMA !

I ain't a car guy so my experience with auto kits is limited , but hi-quality kits must certainly exist .
I built some Tamiya examples in the distant past that were pretty nice .
As you know , manufacturers have some disappointing kits amongst their better ones .
We'll no doubt be hearing from the more informed members here on this subject .

This isn't meant to be a rant or first post troll question so please keep that in mind. I've been building for many years mostly 1:35 scale Armor and 1:48 scale aircraft occasional sci-fi, dioramas etc. Recently I decided to try adding auto's to my collection. I like cars, just never built them. I figured they could add some color and some flare to my display cabinets as well as help tune up my painting/finishing skills. That said I have been really disappointed in kit quality especially given large scale 1:24 and 1:25. Everything seems thick, poorly molded, lacking detail and just plain poorly executed from instructions and packaging to wheels and tires. I though it might just be kit age of the older AMT and MPC kits found at Hobby Lobby. Therefore I went and found a 'New Tooled' 71 Dodge Demon from MPC (like 60s-70s muscle cars) but while better still looks and feels dated. Especially if you compare it to a new aircraft tooling from Mini Art like the P-47D-25RE I bought recently. What gives? Is there no high quality manufactures delivering great quality out of the box? I also understand there's a big price gap between my examples but I'd be willing to pay for a premium kit and would bet others would too. I bought a Tamiya NSX which is good but even it felt a bit weak when compared to their own line of aircraft and armor kits. Wonder why auto's don't get more love, you'd think they'd have the biggest market too. I guess it'll have to come down to dedication and skill but I find it easy to give up or abandon projects when they become more work than they are an enjoyable hobby.
Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm not really into autos but I'm sure you will find someone here who has some advice. Pantherman

I do like the Revell and Tamiya auto kits. I have not noticed the thickness or the poor molding/lack of detail on those kits. With MPC and Lindburg and another one (the name escapes me at the moment) the quality is low and I try not to build those unless I have a specific idea such as a junk car, then I don't mind mutilating the kit.

Most of my auto kits are AMT. I usually don't have any issues with them. Revell kits can be hit or miss, they almost always have some sort of fit issue. Same with Italeri kits. Tamiya kits are top notch. Never have any issues with Tamiya. I have a Heller 1/48 Mercedes 500K Special Roadster in my stash that I am looking forward to building. I have never built a Heller kit.

Back in the 1960's I started building cars and at that time I felt the AMT, Jo-Han, MPC and basic Monogram kit were okay for quality although not as good as today's offerings. That said, I feel the Monogram Classic items such as Bugatti, Cord, Duesenberg cars were considerably better in fit, finish and detail. I also felt the IMC items were better, I especially like the 1948 Ford Convertible kit.

IMO, The Automotive kits today are a challenge, adding details, features and different levels of craftsmanship are the key to a really nice result for me, just how good can you make it? It pushes you to expand your skills.

Last edited:
I've been building model kits for 50 plus years from aircrafts, armor, ships, sci-fi, and cars / trucks. Auto kits has remained pretty much unchanged for decades and never had issues. I've built every brand under the sun through the years - Johan, MPC, AMT, Monogram, Tamiya, Revell, Lindberg. You name it, I've done them all.

My advice? Don't read into it too much and overthink it. I absolutely love MPC and Monogram kits from my youth and teen years (mid 70s - 80s) Revell and AMT kits are decent. AMT tend to have molded in chassis from rear axles to driveshafts, and front end linkage - which I hate. But you're not gonna notice it anyways once built up - so what's the difference? Tamiya caters mostly to imports and racers.

I've been actively acquiring quite a few vintage kit from my youth/teen years thru members from other forums I belong to, eBay, antique stores, etc…

Round2 has rereleased a few kits from my younger years and I have grabbed them as well. Some are repops of the same kit but with different decals. They're still the same molds from back then. Look in scalemates and look at the history of the car kits. You will find they're the same kits regardless.

Personally, I think you're too used to building aircrafts and armor and it's understandable you've never done auto kits in 1/24 & 1/25 scale. Those scales are a larger scale than what you're used to building as opposed to 1/35, 1/72 & 1/48 scale. Don't sell yourself short under the assumption that car kits are "too thick, lacking detail, and your claim of poorly executed from instruction guides, tires, and packaging." (I'm in 100% disagreement with your claims and observations of auto kits now.) That's how packaging has been for the last 50, 60, 70, years or so. I can still build a car kit with my eyes closed since I have done countless car kits over the years of building.

Heck, I often save spare car parts and tires/wheels I don't end up using. Soon enough, you'll have a decent stash of spare parts and tires/wheels you can use to kit bash your next auto kit project. I've done it numerous times over the years. It's a fun to do.

There are tons of aftermarket stuff for car kits from dashboard dials, engine parts, tires, mud flaps, fan belts, distributor cap with or without ignition wires, etc…. You'd be surprised what's out there. Some modelers go great lengths to build realistic car kits. Yes, on all makes of car kit brands. They're no different than finding AM parts for military subjects.

Head over to modelcarsmag.com. Maybe it's there folks will make you change your mind about car kits. They build nothing but auto, trucks, & motorcycles subjects.

Thanks for all the feedback. I am enjoying the MPC '71 Dodge Demon quite a bit. Certainly no shortage of documentation available for auto's. I feel it's coming together nicely. Not going to be a match but feel like Createx Wicked Golden Yellow will pass close enough for me to EL5 Butterscotch/Bahama Yellow.

@BlackSheepTwoOneFour
Appreciate your lengthy response. I really didn't want to get into a debate over, "It's the builder not the kit". We can agree to disagree but you actually proved the point I was trying to make when you state 'There the same molds from back then' and 'That's the way it's been done for past 50,60,70 years'...sorry for poor the paraphrasing.
I guess we've been building about the same length of time but I did take a hiatus while on active duty since it's not easy to pcs without damage. Now that I've been retired awhile it's been great to build without that looming move on the horizon.
I have no doubt fine examples can be made from the kits available. (Airliners come to mind too).I believe the Demon I'm building will end up looking right at home in my cabinet. That said I'm simply surprised nobody, with a few exceptions are producing new mold kits with modern manufacturing. Something along the lines of what Wingnut Wings did for WWI aircraft, have you built anything from them or seen a kit review online or at a show? Pretty spectacular compared to the older kits.
I'm just about done with the tub of the Demon and the molded door detail (arm rest/door release window crank is just simply spartan for this scale. Drybrushing is about the best that can be done without scratchbuilding. Would be nice to see some etch for a grill or other parts occasionally and I'm not even particularly fond of the stuff but there's a reason it's used.
So I'll close standing by my thoughts in my original post and heed your advice to not overthink it. Again, I appreciate your feedback and love your screen name...Baa Baa Black Sheep was an absolute favorite growing up.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back