B-24J Liberator Bomber 1:92 Scale (Atlantis)

durangod

Well its coming along. Had to do alot of cutting and putty work but looking better.
As you can see (and as i was warned by @BlackSheepTwoOneFour ) not much really fits out of the box, they should include a tube of putty in the box lol.

Wings did not fit so had to cut mount area larger.

And as you can see mor putty work needed so the windshield fits. It almost looks better backwards lol

what i am showing is that the turret guns dont fit. I had to not only split them up but also flatten the bottom so they lay flatter.

Also showing the wing tips are not the same, one goes to edge of wing and had to putty tje other one to be same. Camo is all freehand, just a brush.

20240922_173513.jpg20240922_173456.jpg20240922_173432.jpg20240922_173419.jpg20240920_221720.jpg20240922_114128.jpg20240922_114125.jpg

Last edited:
Will tamiya putty be strong enough to raise both cockpit side pannels or do i need to add support structure under it first?

If i need structure i can use a piece of sprue or a flat piece of plastic under it. :)

20240922_201620.jpg

That Tamiya lacquer putty is ideally for thin repairs .
It can be built up but it's mostly solvent so there is a massive amount of initial shrinkage .
Not the best for structural applications -- use the additional plastic and fill in with the putty .

Well its coming along. Had to do alot of cutting and putty work but looking better.
As you can see (and as i was warned by @BlackSheepTwoOneFour ) not much really fits out of the box, they should include a tube of putty in the box lol...
Yeah, Atlantis' catalog is mostly kits they acquired from other companies, and many of their kits are older than I am (b. 1964). So you'll find many whose quality isn't the same as many manufacturers' quality today.

That's not a knock on Atlantis, just something to bear in mind, when you think about buying their kits. You may find issues like you see with that Liberator, whether because it was tooled to the standards of its day, or because molds are a bit worn, or other characteristics.

Atlantis has models that guys of my age built when we were kids, and we enjoy buying them and building them again, for nostalgia, to see how we do with them after years of practice, etc, etc.

That B-24J was originally issued by Revell back in 1955, so it's 69 years old at this point. Atlantis acquired it a couple of years ago, when Revell-Monogram's owner of the time, HobbiCo, went bankrupt.

A modeler can still enjoy the build and the result, but we know it's not going to be like opening a Tamiya kit. As long as you have fun, that's the most important thing. And you're making good progress! I look forward to seeing it finished.

Best regards,
Brad

Its as done as i can do it for now. Dollar store did not have any pledge and they dont stock super clean.

I enjoyed this project, i guess turning a crap product into something i can display appeals to me. I am learning alot about the hobby and myself. I thank you all for you kindness and assistance. :)

I think im starting to understand the attraction to the hobby. Its not so much about glueing pieces of plastic together, its about what you learn in the process, overcoming challenges, and creating something that is one of a kind asthetically (it has your mark).

I might say this or that about a kit just stating facts good or bad, but i am enjoying myself in this hobby as well as getting to know people here on the forum. :)

Now ill shut up and post pics LOL

20240923_204820.jpg20240924_031425.jpg20240924_031432.jpg20240924_031440.jpg20240924_031505.jpg20240924_031518.jpg20240924_031524.jpg

Its as done as i can do it for now. Dollar store did not have any pledge and they dont stock super clean.

I enjoyed this project, i guess turning a crap product into something i can display appeals to me. I am learning alot about the hobby and myself. I thank you all for you kindness and assistance. :)

I think im starting to understand the attraction to the hobby. Its not so much about glueing pieces of plastic together, its about what you learn in the process, overcoming challenges, and creating something that is one of a kind asthetically (it has your mark).

I might say this or that about a kit just stating facts good or bad, but i am enjoying myself in this hobby as well as getting to know people here on the forum. :)

Now ill shut up and post pics LOL

View attachment 125134View attachment 125135View attachment 125136View attachment 125137View attachment 125138View attachment 125139View attachment 125140
You hit the nail on the head, got to have fun doing the build or your probably better off stamp collecting maybe. Pantherman

Its as done as i can do it for now. Dollar store did not have any pledge and they dont stock super clean...
For the...future (pun!), Johnson & Johnson discontinued making Pledge so you won't find it anymore except on the second-hand market. There is another product called Quick Shine Floor Finish, which some modelers are using as a replacement, and if you can find it, you might like to try it. I have not, because I have half a bottle of Future left and that'll probably last me till I die. Quick Shine is apparently milky at first but dries/cures to a clear finish.
As far as SuperClean goes, if you're in the US, try Walmart, or auto supply stores like AutoZone. Maybe this or that supermarket might carry it, but I get mine at Walmart, for around nine bucks a gallon.
The great thing about SuperClean, as opposed to other materials like oven cleaner, is that you can use a batch over and over. I use it to strip the paint off old metal figures that I buy, and I have glass jars of various sizes to store batches of the liquid. I use till it gets too cloudy to see through.
Also, since it's a degreaser, it has household uses. So that satisfied my Dutchy sense.

Latest posts

Back