Canadian ban on Tamiya spray paints?

Motoretrolia

Just saw something on YT about a Canadian ban on Tamiya spray paints. Anyone have information on this? From what I understand, it either health or environmental.

Just saw something on YT about a Canadian ban on Tamiya spray paints. Anyone have information on this? From what I understand, it either health or environmental.
Supposedly some shops were notified on Monday that it is true and it is being stated that it is do to one specific chemical level being too high. The hope is that Tamiya will only need to add additional disclaimers.

I really wish Tamiya would make all colors available in bottles as I prefer to airbrush than us a rattle can for most things. Plus if you want the color for brush painting. I have to try my hand at decanting a metallic green color that I want.

Supposedly some shops were notified on Monday that it is true and it is being stated that it is do to one specific chemical level being too high. The hope is that Tamiya will only need to add additional disclaimers.
While I dress for painting, I would still like to know the triggering chemical for issuing the ban regardless. There's already a CA Prop 65 sticker on the top of the spray bottle I bought this past weekend.

While I don't own a AB and have never used one, what about thinning down Acrylic Tamiya and spraying it through a Preval sprayer?
I airbrush their acrylic bottles all the time with no problems. I would think they would spray fine with one of those but would be a lot of wasted paint.

I always joke, don't go to California because everything gives you cancer there.

Here is something.

View attachment 126281
California.. the biggest clusterf***k state in the whole continental USA next to NY. Newsome is liken to a slick car salesman. Pelosi I believe is his mother-in-law (?) or some relation.

Meanwhile, Houchol (NY governor) is the most liberal woke governor. I still can't believe she got elected. No… she was not re-elected as the media claim say she was.
Houchol was thrusted as governor when that pervert Cuomo got removed from office.

A lot of folks are leaving California in droves as well as NY State.

I really wish Tamiya would make all colors available in bottles as I prefer to airbrush than us a rattle can for most things. Plus if you want the color for brush painting. I have to try my hand at decanting a metallic green color that I want.
Decanting isn't all that hard. Watch some YouTube how-to videos on decanting.

While I dress for painting, I would still like to know the triggering chemical for issuing the ban regardless. There's already a CA Prop 65 sticker on the top of the spray bottle I bought this past weekend.

2-Butoxyethanol

This may be the culprit but unconfirmed. Don't know if they will ever release which chemical it actually was, they just say VOC. There is talk of reformulation, pamphlet, special permits to import. only time will tell at this point. California will prolly follow and hopefully the rest of the states will let it be.

After checking several model sites, it indeed appears to be true.
Not model sites, Canadian news sites.

Sometimes it's all hearsay. I'm not saying it's BS and fake news. Just reconfirm it through new sources - perhaps Canadian government sources. The internet can be a source of what they want you to hear, not what the whole truth.

While I don't own a AB and have never used one, what about thinning down Acrylic Tamiya and spraying it through a Preval sprayer?
As far as airbrushing. If you have a compressor in the garage you should be able to make that one work. You can get a cheap airbrush to start, single action is considered easier to use than a dual action by most. A single action is similar to a rattle can, set pressure and push button/lever. They are fairly simple to use and not all that difficult to clean. The one thing to keep in mind if you get a cheapy brush, if you are struggling it may not be you but the airbrush. There is nothing wrong with starting with a cheap brush as long as you remember that. Then you upgrade as you feel the need to.

Back