Decals

I am currently not pleased with the "dee-cals" on my 1/35th Academy M18 kit. I think the clear dee-cal backing may have ruined this kit for me.

I will try a flat clear coat base overall and get into weathering but the large clear backing on the deck-alls has me wishing for something better. Kit is near end of completion... Guns not mounted, etc.

I use Micro-Sol and Mark Fit interchangeably. I used Micro Sol on this kit and I am stumped. It always works well for me.

deckalls.jpg

Last edited:
I first heard "deckles" from Scott Girvan when he started the predecessor to this forum, the Nerd Herd. It seemed to be more common in the other parts of the Anglosphere, while we Americans tended to say, "dee-kals".

Quite a lot of Dutch modellers for some reason also say /ˈdɛkəl/. Long before I ever heard anyone say the word, I figured the pronunciation must be along the lines of /ˈdiː.kæl/ — but maybe that's just because my English is rather better than that of most people I meet :)

Quite a lot of Dutch modellers for some reason also say /ˈdɛkəl/. Long before I ever heard anyone say the word, I figured the pronunciation must be along the lines of /ˈdiː.kæl/ — but maybe that's just because my English is rather better than that of most people I meet :)
Very true :)

Whoa!! hang on a minute!!! this decal, deekal, came from across the Atlantic and slowly worked its way into the lazy Brits language who were too lazy to keep calling them Transfers.... Transfer - as in transferring the image onto the subject through the use of water, and only clean water, none of that yellow stuff you see in the snow, that your mommy told you not to eat when you were out there making your snowmen (persons of indeterminate sexual orientation). And what I often wonder is that water evaporates, turns into clouds and then comes back to the earth as water droplets... So if we have yellow snow where does it go? and why do we never see yellow snow falling. And the other thing that can keep me awake at night is how does that fly land on the ceiling??? Does it fly along and then suddenly flip onto its back and land, does it reach up with its front legs and hook itself onto the ceiling to land. I have spent hours chasing a fly around a room without success as the damn thing kept landing on the wall!!!
So you see you can only do this with a transfer, e.g. you have transferred from one subject to another, now you cannot do that with a decal....

Latest posts

Back