Fng Tanker

Rob

Hey all. I just finished this F-35 and I'm going to try my hand at a tank. I've never built one before so I'm real new to this. I'm thinking I can keep all the wheels off and paint them individually that way I can paint the body a little bit easier? This is just me thinking down the road. I'm trying some Ace Hardware Red oxide premium primer on a test piece of plastic. Has anyone tried that before? So far the red oxide looks like it's going to work on my test piece. The hobby store by me doesn't have a very good paint selection and Andy's is closed on Sunday. I wanted that red oxide so I can learn how to chip which I don't have a clue how to do so I'm going to have to watch YouTube or something. No biggie. I was real tired of putting on 200 decals and this tank has I think three or four. Now I just need to learn how to get something really dirty and shrapnel damage and a couple bullet Nicks? I think this is going to be fun cuz it's nice to learn how to do something else besides airplanes.

20240602_095658.jpg

20240602_095402.jpg

20240601_120122.jpg

Hey all. I just finished this F-35 and I'm going to try my hand at a tank. I've never built one before so I'm real new to this. I'm thinking I can keep all the wheels off and paint them individually that way I can paint the body a little bit easier? This is just me thinking down the road. I'm trying some Ace Hardware Red oxide premium primer on a test piece of plastic. Has anyone tried that before? So far the red oxide looks like it's going to work on my test piece. The hobby store by me doesn't have a very good paint selection and Andy's is closed on Sunday. I wanted that red oxide so I can learn how to chip which I don't have a clue how to do so I'm going to have to watch YouTube or something. No biggie. I was real tired of putting on 200 decals and this tank has I think three or four. Now I just need to learn how to get something really dirty and shrapnel damage and a couple bullet Nicks? I think this is going to be fun cuz it's nice to learn how to do something else besides airplanes.

View attachment 118060

View attachment 118061

View attachment 118062
The tiger 1 is a nice tank to build. Takom have great details on them. Pantherman

We will see how it goes. I agree about the details. I also like how they have the sprues lettered to where you can see them. I will pop a pin in the wall and hang the sprue on it and you can see which letter it is immediately. And I haven't come upon any Flash yet. I'm just having trouble with the tires. Wheels, rims whatever you want to call them. It seems like there's two different types of Wheels in here so I figured one would be for when they had them wrapped in rubber and the others were all Steel with a rubber insert. Or are they all the same because steel rims didn't come out yet? Or I could be reading too much into it and just build it and have fun

for chipping and battle damage to a tank check out Night Shift on youtube. I have learned alot watching his videos

for chipping and battle damage to a tank check out Night Shift on youtube. I have learned alot watching his videos
Thanks for that info on night shift. I checked it out and I'm going to have to watch a couple

I use a form of chipping technique on my Maschinen Krieger builds.
I use a good enamel as a primer, Army Painter matte black. It adheres well and cures rock-hard.
Then I use water-based acrylic finish colors over the primer.
To chip, I use ScotchBrite pads to scuff and scrape through the acrylic to the enamel below. It doesn't take a lot of force to do the scuffing and chipping.

Here's an example from a build I did a few years ago...

Hoses-3-right.jpg

Took a break from the tank for a while to work on the Mustang. (Car) almost done with that. Waiting for clear coat to dry and decals I will probably do tomorrow. So I started back on the tank doing the dark green camouflage. Still lots to do on the tank but every time I look at I smile and that's a good thing cuz the other option is it goes in the backseat of my truck and driven out to the shooting range. My next build is a 55 Chevy. That last picture is when we were out behind Lake Pleasant last weekend.

20240626_120027.jpg

20240626_121113.jpg

IMG_20240625_074734.jpg

I would also like to add that I threw that car together before I started thinking about ejection marks and all the other little crap on these inexpensive kits. Those ejection marks on the spoilers just about ruined my day so please don't look too closely at my work. I'll do better on that 55. It's a better kit too.

I've never assembled a kit without mistakes, trying to eliminate them as you progress is a good goal, trying to ever reach perfection is a recipe for disappointment.

(those big-bodied 71-73 Stangs are underrepresented IMO)

These MPC decals suck. They are thick and I've been working on this for about an hour and a half keeping it wet and trying to get it to lay down. And yes, I use Mark fit strong. And Play-Doh. I mix it in with a little bit of Play-Doh

20240626_162930.jpg

Latest posts

Back