Gap Filler What types? Epoxy? Superglue?

burtonlinn

Just getting back into the hobby and I really want to focus on good quality and Im not up to some of the new products that might be out there regarding gap filling.
I was on Scalemodelguide.com reading some tips on gap filling and he suggested using super glue (thick), model fillers, and epoxy putty but did not mention any brands or products.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good user friendly products for these three categories and if any of these products were just as good buying at your local home improvement store (ie JB weld, crazy glue etc.) because I do not live near a hobby shop so I have to buy most of my stuff online.

I use Krazy glue from my local super market for general stuff

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/krazy-glue-craft-brush-on-5g.html?gclid=CJWiwNmAw7YCFQWqnQod_2UABg

This is a UK website but i'm in the USA so it's avaliable everywhere.

To fill smaller gaps i use above glue with baking soda, you may have to do a couple of applications but the baking soda helps the glue to set so its, glue, baking soda, sand, glue, baking soda, sand. ;D

For larger gaps i use Squadron filler.

http://www.micromark.com/Squadron-Green-Putty-46-oz,6412.html?sc=WGB&utm_source=GoogleBase&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=GoogleBase&gclid=CLCz8aiBw7YCFRRfnAodMVsAKA

I don't use it but most people swear by Aves Apoxie sculpt putty

http://www.pnta.com/props/make-your-own/sculpting/cream-apoxie-sculpt-4-lbs/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CPygztyBw7YCFRQDnAodsBAALA

Hope this helps

Gagsterman

For smaller gaps/seams, I'll sometimes brush the old tube-style glue over it.
For larger gaps, I use Aves Apoxie Sculpt

Quaralane said:

Q whats your opinion on the Bondo Spot putty ? Steve Neill seems to live by the red goop. Im about to get some to try it for the first time but then I stop and think about the Aves and hear all the good reviews people give this stuff. Which is better in your opinion and more user friendly as this is my first time playing with putty of any sort. I have a tube of one part Tamiya putty but have heard alot of nightmare stories on this stuff.

I agree with gag i use squdron filler too. Never used anything else apart from milliput for massive gaps

hooterville75 said:
Quaralane said:

Q whats your opinion on the Bondo Spot putty ? Steve Neill seems to live by the red goop. Im about to get some to try it for the first time but then I stop and think about the Aves and hear all the good reviews people give this stuff. Which is better in your opinion and more user friendly as this is my first time playing with putty of any sort. I have a tube of one part Tamiya putty but have heard alot of nightmare stories on this stuff.

The bondo spot putty is good stuff. It bonds really well to plastic, is softer than plastic, doesn't shrink, and cures up in a couple of hours. It will thin with lacquer thinner.

Aves is for filling big gaps. I have used it to fill small gaps, but it cures up harder than the plastic, and can be hard to sand. It thins with water which is nice, and takes about two hours to start to cure up. It will take 24 hours to cure completely.

I use milliput with small amount of water for small gaps ( white superfine grade )
Applied with a small fine tip brush. Chuck a small amount in some water and simply
fish out a small amount on your wet brush and brush it into fine gaps. Leaves it
pretty smooth as well.

I do this on my built and primed models

:)

hooterville75 said:
Quaralane said:

Never actually used Bondo, myself. Nor have I used the Tamiya putty.
Haven't used Squadron white putty since I started using Aves.

I've used bondo in the past but not a fan of the smell/fumes it gives off, is there a particular brand that is better than the rest that I can get at the local hardware store?

Latest posts

Back