Gone Fishing Kit

I am restoring one in real life. This is the third year of the project. Any boat that is older than 1990 has the old style foam (the only thing they had back then) called open cell foam. This absorbed water and added weight to the boat, but it also rotted the wood floor, grew mold, and smelled horrible. So i am having to remove the cap (top of the boat shell) and remove all that nasty smelly foam and put new foam (closed cell foam) which does not absorb water. Then replace the floor and the cap and then start to put the engine that i started on back together.

Should be interesting, i had pics of where everything went wiring and all parts then my old phone mini disk got corrupted and i lost them all. I should have loaded them to my pc but put it off. Who would have thought that my mini cd one day would just go poof. But being in the industry and believing in backups i kick myself because i should have known better and should have been prepared and i was not.

The summer here is just too dang hot to do anything for me it is. So i shut the project down in late spring and dont get back to it will fall.

The moral of the story is that if someone is selling as pre 1990 boat it could be that the floor is rotted. :) But i got this one cheap cheap and the engine is worth 4 grand so its worth it to put some money into it.

Latest posts

Back