Help for a newb

DrTHPete

Hi guys,

I'm new to scale modeling but I'm wanting to get started making some star trek kits. I haven't built models since I was a kid and back then a kit, some glue, a testors painting kit, and a bowl of water for decals were all I needed. Now I want to take things more seriously and invest in some finer tools of the trade.

So I'm hoping I can get some advice on starter supplies for a would-be serious modeler. Sand paper for smoothing flash? Decal applying solution? Decent starter airbrush and compressor? Things I don't even know to ask about? I'd love to hear from the experts.

I'm new to the forums too so if this is the wrong place for this post can someone let me know?

Start with the basics. Get yourself a set of decent paint brushes, an assortment pack of Testors paints, a small can of paint thinner (Home Depot, Lowe's), a mixture pack of sandpapers and files and some standard tools like an X-Acto with blade assortment, a nipper/wire cutter, needle nose pliers and tweezers. Also pick up stuff from around the house like tissues, q-tips, toothpics and some spare plastic food containers that you have too many of and will never have enough food to put in all of them at the same time.

Your biggest choice will be glue. For styrene, I use Testors Liquid Cement (Tamiya makes it too) in the bottle with the brush in the cap. You have to be a little more careful with it (mostly in not spilling the bottle!) but you have better control in putting glue into tiny seams and such after parts are fitted together.

sanding sticks are a boon and can be bought cheaply ( those emery boards women use for filing their fingernails can be used as they are quite cheap )

fillers, such as milliput ( preferably the white ) or squadron signals putty or Mr hobbys dissolved putty is very useful but rather pungent.

superglue ( crazy glue i think the americans call it ) some epoxy resin an and styrene glue will come in handy ( one important type here... DO NOT USE SUPERGLUE ON CLEAR PLASTIC )

painting-wise, if you can splash the cash get some sable brushes for detail work. for airbrushes i use aztek 470 double action airbrush, the paint nozzles screw off easily and can be cleaned quickly allowing a much faster paint time especially if you use acrylics such as tamiya.... remember to get some thinners for the paint and some airbrush cleaner.

when you are building the kit and you find yourself rushing to get something done, that's the time to put it down and come back to it later, otherwise you'll do something you'll regret.

also a good craft knife with different blades, i prefer to use a rounded blade but sometimes i need to get into tricky places.

last tip, if you get stuck ask for help that is what we are here for :)

p.s. i'd love to know what star trek kits you are planning on working on.

Latest posts

Back