How do i fix this paint shade difference

durangod

I had two browns, one spray and one bottle.

I sprayed my ship and figured i would touch up any area with a brush using a brush and bottle.

i tested the shade first before the touch up as you can see in the pic the first test is #1 and the second is #2 after adding alittle white to it.

But on the model its not the same when i brushed a line under and over the black part. Some places its so close its unseen but in others its darker, i dont know why.

Do i need to cover the discolored with primer again and try again, or sand it off, or just add another stripe to hide the error.

Maybe liquid mask and respray?

Im not sure how to fix this.

20240915_055310.jpg20240915_055339.jpg20240915_055331.jpg20240915_055328.jpg20240915_055324.jpg

Last edited:
make a wash out of the bottled brown and apply it over the entire hull ?
That will bring out detail , add interesting variation , require no more masking and blend in that color differential between the 2 .

Yup… wood comes in a variety of shades. No single board of wood are alike - certainly not uniform in color.

Buy some brown Tamiya Panel liner or make your own - dilute brown really thin and translucent or use brown chalk scrapped from a knife blade with water and a drop of dish soap. Just brush it on and would see a remarkable look of wood grains come out.

Hi thanks that did hide it but i did not like the look of brown wash, i might do a white wash like salt water or dark wash later, but for now i liquid masked it and resprayed it. Back to normal now

I have heard of people using salt in the paint as well or sand. Ill see if dollar store has brown chalk.

No…. DON'T add salt / sand into the paint bottle!!!!!

Salt (or salt method) can be used as weathering. Most commonly on aircraft and armor kits. Even to create a rusted out beat up car or truck. Here's a good tutorial video:

Latest posts

Back