How do you know what paint to use on my model

the model should have a color chart in the instructions, or find a build video on youtube and see what colors they use.

It also depends if you are doing a realistic project or custom. Several countries use them i believe so if doing realistic youll need to know what country and the colors they use.

If custom then pick your own colors, its all up to you. :)

And welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
What he said. All model kit instruction guides have color call outs. Looking in scalemates and seeing the instruction guide color call outs are Gunze paints. Fear not, it can be cross referenced thru paint4models.com.

This kit gives you 2 color scheme versions

First version is…

H304 Olive Drab is FS34087

Paint brand - Model Master 1711 / 4728 (enamel /acrylic)
Tamiya X-62 Olive Drab

Second version is…

H12 Olive Drab 1 (Olive Drab ANA 618) is FS34088. This Olive Drab is closer to a brownish green. Second option on last page

A close match would be AK Interactive Faded Olive Drab

https://www.scalehobbyist.com/catag...8&sb=stocknumber_a&so=d&e=0&ct=1&co=4&man=AKI

You can't go wrong with either but the choice

Advice… shop at this website instead of Amazon

www.scalehobbyist.com

Great prices and fast delivery. Far cheaper than most places. Granted Amazon listed yours $5 cheaper than Scalehobbyist. Shop around and compare prices especially S&H. Amazon Prime is a big rip-off to begin with.

The reason I hate and refuse to do business with Amazon is a variety of personal reasons.

Last edited:
Occasionally the outer box will provide a color chart and/or the instructions will provide this, sometimes in detail and sometime more or less a list. I admit, I'm more of "vague" painter, If I like another color better and feel it will work well, I'll use it. Or I'll mix up something that works for me. I just painted an older kit that specified the moulded in color although for me it was all wrong. I ended up with a gloss aluminum spray from Tamiya which sprayed well and matched my expectations. Good luck, enjoy the build.

i cant even imagine a scenario when i would use purple, lime green, pink, or orange unless i am custom mixing and need them.

Back