How do you know what paint to use on my model

EDIT:
I wrote the response before the recent post above :)

It looks like you ordered lacquer paints (is that right?). Please be careful with the fumes and allow it to cure well, but once that is done the coating is a much better "canvas" than (disclaimer = some) modern acrylics.

---=== ORIGINAL POST ===---

Maybe you should slow down, just a bit, to save yourself from extra expense and aggravation.

1727997334824.png

You should decide what mediums you want to use. I am going to oversimplify this so "YMMV"!
  1. Do you have ventilation (a consideration for using paints with toxic thinners)?
  2. Will you be using traditional brushes or an airbrush (probably both)?
  3. Will you be using varnishes and washes (usually requires the combination of solvents)?
Just saying, there are dozens of GREAT paints out there, most are only compatible within their brand but "YMMV" right?

Last edited:
Here is what I'm going to buy.

Joint Light Tactical Vehicle JLTV-GP

I plan on suspending the helicopter from the ceiling and then the JLTV from the Helicopter.

Any ideas about hanging them up? the ceiling is painted with what I think is 'popcorn' looking and I want to make as few holes as possible but things like command hooks will probably just come off in my hands.

It looks like this::

WIN_20241003_16_58_52_Pro.jpg

"It looks like you ordered lacquer paints (is that right?)."

Yep I looked it up in google even... LOL I chose the lacquer because it dries faster. 'maybe that is the wrong basis for choosing Lacquer?

Lacquer thinner works to clan the brushes right? Can you use lighter fluid or is that for Acrylic?

Those lacquers are actually acrylics but solvent compatible acrylic resin ,
chiefly alcohols as the vehicle ( vehicle being what the pigment and binder , the acrylic resin , is suspended in )
Use water and alcohol to clean .
Lacquer thinner will also work of course but that's not necessary .It's primarily acetone and alcohol .

Lighter fluid is naphtha , used for thinning oil based paints . " enamels " or artist oils .

I'm disabled and need lots of help please. Please tell me if I bought the wrong stuff. I didn't notice before that the orange is Acrylic. Am I correct thinking that I need brushes for acrylic and different brushes for Lacquer. I remember now that when I was a child before my accident I used Enamel paint and used lighter fluid.

EDIT::: It looks like I can just use water for all the paint I bought? THis is different from the REDDIT thread that said not to use water on Lacquer.

EDIT:EDIT:: Okay I bought Alcohol brush cleaner. but I don't know how to use them. I assume that you start with alcohol and then water after that?

Last edited:
Synthetic brushes are fine for all of it .
What makes that paint a " lacquer " is the alcohol used in it .
That's the reason they dry faster .

" lacquers " technically use nitrocellulose resin but most of the hobby " lacquers " actually use acrylics .

You are fine with what you have , but the water base acrylics , like Vallejo , are easier to brush apply since they have more open time . They dry slower .
You can add retarder , propylene glycol , to those lacquer paints to give yourself more time and avoid leaving brush marks .

I'm trying to do this as fast as possible. This project is for the Armed Forces Career Center near where I live. Army and Marine Corps are who I am making this for... Joint Army and Marine Corps... I don't think I have to be very accurate on the Helicopter because the Helicopter is only there for display. I need to be accurate though for the JLTV-GP M1278. I need the sandy color and the woodland color both. Chinook Helicopter I assume there is a detailed directions on the bottle of the alcohol stuff HERE:: brush cleaner

I'm getting anxious and probably need to slow way down but I wanted the paint to arrive before the Helicopter. Thank you a whole LOT for being patient with me. You guys are way cool!

EDIT:: is there a kit of brushes like you get with a kit of socket wrenches?

I'd recommend you use spray paint for the bulk of the build .
fast , easy application and fast drying .
Is that a possibility for you ?

I'd recommend you use spray paint for the bulk of the build .
fast , easy application and fast drying .
Is that a possibility for you ?
What kind of spray paint are you talking about? I will have more money soon.... I just paid for my internet, and confirmed that I can have a Free Government cellphone. I was going to spend the money and get an airbrush but I have no idea how to use one. Are you talking about what They call rattle-can where you shake the marble i the can to mix it? That might be better than trying to but an airbrush?

Yes , rattlecans .
An investment in an airbrush is sound , but you also need the air supply and then time to learn how to use it .
It sounds like you are in a hurry .
I'm suggesting using rattlecan paint for the body color for the helo and the JLTV .
so just those 2 cans of color .
Then you can do the other parts by brush .

Yes , rattlecans .
An investment in an airbrush is sound , but you also need the air supply and then time to learn how to use it .
It sounds like you are in a hurry .
I'm suggesting using rattlecan paint for the body color for the helo and the JLTV .
so just those 2 cans of color .
Then you can do the other parts by brush .
Where would I be getting accurate spray paint colors. I'm trying to come close to the real helicopter colors and very accurate with the JLTV. There's a paint color matching thing for the JLTV but it is too small for me to read.

Where do you find painting instructions? Is there a place online that has them?

EDIT:: JLTV-GP M1278 tactical vehicle. <--- has the images that are too small..

WOW!!! actual instruction kit for the Chinook is AMAZING@ I understand everything so far. I downloaded the PDF and I LOVE IT! After watching the video of people assembling the Chinook (CH-47A) I think I will have no problem assembling it. I bought it yesterday and it seems like a week has passed. I'm really happy with you guys on here!!! Timely responses for me, the noob that I am.... I see it all coming together!!! My dreams are coming true!

Have a good night. It;s time for my bed time and meds. Talk to you tomorrow maybe?

Latest posts

Back