I-16 (?)

dave

Hi ,my usual poison is 72nd armour/ vechiels but have decided to have a bash at at a wingy thing ,probably the first time since I was a kid ,the kit is by ICM and was more than likely a impulse grab of off flea Bay. I dont belive in slagging/ moaning about manufacturers/ kits I always work to the premises that no such thing as a bad kit just some are better than others ,one mans meat another man's poison ,anyway didn't bother to much with the cockpit well truthfully never bothered at all ,dont think it made up too bad if I had one moan the decals were I think very thick and well shiny but I presuming that will go with a flat coat idid use setters and softeners but was mainly more interested in having a go at painting a wingy after all these years ,some pics of progress so far ,20241009_113620.jpg
20241012_154848.jpg
20241012_155029.jpg
Cockpit glass not a very good fit i could have sorted but all good fun so far.Dave

Nice… one of the iconic WW2 Russian fighters. Not fast but capable in a dogfight
Many thanks enjoying it so far after many years of armour/ vechiels its nice to step out of the rut ,still some way to go yet plus a good learning curve for the next wingy thing. Almost like thoes little begee? Racers but with guns:). Dave

Greeting late Sunday afternoon this side of the pond ,please bare in mind were not finished yet ,the build so far could read a bit like a school report ie could do better ,must try harder ,looking back I should have done more to the cockpit belts etc ,made the little windshield look very tatty ,could have paid better attention to the assembly especially the exhausts ,won't take all the blame for the decals they were almost like vinyl thick and shiny I did use setter and softener from two diffrent manufacturers but hey all part of this new learning curve not having made a wingy thing for at least fifty years.
On the under side I started to use tamiya panel liner when I started to clean it up couldn't understand why the paint was stripping back to the primer never had this happen before over acrylic paint ,ah ha apparently this happens when you clean up with thinners instead of white spirit hence around the tail there's a awfull lot of wear and tear
20241020_105048.jpg
Idid add the rope bit to the under carriage because as i under stand the pilot had to pull up the wheels ,tied off on a kleat between his legs? :p makes you wonder.
A couple of pics of the upper surface ,another mistake(mild word for it)was I saw on YouTube the bloke sanded his decals wich worked a treat and looked the part ,well you can see on one wing what happens when you get a bit over enthusiastic but were put it down to ware and tear in the field.
20241020_105148.jpg
20241020_104926.jpg
The whole thing wants a coat of matte varnish then I can get some exhaust stains and bits? added will get that done when I flat coat my Churchill build , I'm bit of a warts and all modeler so not ashamed of any mistakes ,its all about chilling out. Dave

Back