I call this 'Crossing the Line'

I started this build about a month ago....
The idea is to display my Tiger 1 on a base where it is crossing a French railway line around Normandy 1944....
The first job was to get the railway line, and here I came across the MiniArt product. The sleepers (ties) were first given a coat of grey primer, followed by Tamiya Buff (XF-57). They were then masked to allow the rail plates to be given a coat of dark rust as were the rails who had first been given a coat of chrome silver!!! The tops of the rails were masked to allow the rust to be applied and then the masking removed and a polish of Gunmetal brought the shine down to an acceptable level.
20240922_103724_HDR.jpg
Meanwhile the sleepers were given a coat of W&N Burnt Umber oil paint, with care not to get any on the plates. This was left for about 1 hour, and then using a soft sponge, bits were used to remove the excess oil...
20240922_103735_HDR.jpg
Happy with the result I now moved onto the Tiger... The last one I built was in 1980, the 'Zimmerit' in real life would have been about 4 inches thick, and the scheme totally fiction, and the kit was Tamiya....
Today, with the plethora of kits available I settled on the RFM offering (5015) a late version and correct for the period.... Bison Decals #35091 are providing the markings for a Tiger 1 of Abtellung 101, tank number 334.
The tracks are going to come from Masterbox, and the Zimmerit I have taken out of my hands and will be using a set designed for this model by ATAK Model which includes two different gun mantlets.
The base will be built from MDF board with a foam base and encased in Balsa sheet....
So to work, the main hull and turret were selected and built up to the state where I could start adding the Zimmerit... But before this I did notice that RFM failed to include the air filter/radiators set each side of the engine bay. I managed to locate someone on Ebay who was selling off spares and obtained the items I needed plus the etch brass fan covers.... No triming was required except to take off the two locating pins from the underside...
20240926_111303_HDR.jpg

Also added were the torsion bar suspension with the front and rear corner ones cemented into a fixed position and the rest left to move freely.

20241002_151216_HDR.jpg
And so to the Zimmerit... This comes as a thin sheet of resin, with the pattern printed into it, and a word of warning - be carefull with it as it will bend easily...
ATAK reccomend that you use a two park epoxy cement, but I found that c/a (superglue) will work. I first sanded the rear face with some 240 wet n dry paper as well as the mating face on the model. the section was removed and checked for fit and really there was no problem except I opened up the holes for the bolt locations and cut the side lengthways to aid fitting, but again this was my choice. Then using a small makeup sponge applied c/a to the surface of the model enough so that I could move the Zimmerit a little. Once in place I used a tissue to pat down the Zimmerit in place and to remove any excess c/a....
20240926_111339_HDR.jpg
The mantlet...
20240926_111321_HDR.jpg
20240926_111331_HDR.jpg
The rear escape hatch and the vision slit are also supplied by ATAK...
20241002_151140_HDR.jpg
The hull side with small squares of plastic strip to build up the mudskirts...
20241002_151153_HDR.jpg
The hull front....
20241002_151403_HDR.jpg
And where I am today - the barrel is from Aber....
More later
Mike.

Back