Its my way of doing it

dave

Hi all when I introduced myself docsudy? Asked if I'd share some of my tricks/techniques as I went along ,well ill be first to put my hand up and admit I'm a bit lazy and a bodger to boot ,airbrush still haven't really mastered it even after fifteen plus years so can't help there, weathering products dont work like they say on the tin or YouTube but persevere and you'll find your own way of getting desired results usually if like me totally diffrent to its original purpose ,its a strange one because as it says at the top its my way of doing it if these couple of hints help or even make you laugh thinking I'm a twit(nearly spelt that with a A)then good stuff all round.
Something I've done for sometime now is i work over a sheet of printer paper not only does this seem to increase the brightness of your immediate working area but improves your view of what your working on/cutting not looking for something small that's not blended into your cutting mat bonus as well keeps mat free of glue and filler other modeling mess making people think cor he's a tidy one

20241003_061940.jpg
Plus talking of dropping parts you often read of feeding the carpet monster this mainly blamed on tweesers why grip these parts like your choking the monkey the tighter the grip the further it travels ,why put the squeez on something with curved edges your asking for trouble i bet if you tried you could pick the piece up with your fingers ,working in 72nd I often get oooh to small dont know how you do it ill let you into a secret the small pieces are no smaller than the small pieces in a 35er just more of them ,some small parts can easily be picked up by gently stabbing it with the point of a scalple ive never been asked why my builds are covered in little marks honest you hardly have to touch the part to be able to lift it in place. Back to the tweezers you hardly have to apply pressure to lift a piece if using the gentle grip (and I mean gentle)ninety nine times out of the proverbial hundred it will just fall onto your sheet of printer paper. Yes I use tweezers two pairs in the above picture also one of thoes white pencils with the white waxy leads not lead but you know what I mean these are good for picking up and placing small parts I think from a company called ultimate have tried thoes ones with the stick blob on the end but didn't think much to them again that doesn't mean others don't get on fine with them.
I did type more my thoughts on snips but suddenly lost it all hope the above-mentioned has given you some food for thought if enjoyed ill give my thoughts on snips(unbiased of course)Dave

Nice Dave, and very true about weathering not working as some one on U tube suggests. Just found out Tamiya putty does not like foam board, it might be ok on Styrofoam .
John

Tamiya putty is mostly solvent , so it's going to attack foam .
That's why it shrinks so much during cure .

Tamiya putty is mostly solvent , so it's going to attack foam .
That's why it shrinks so much during cure .
Hi , the poster advised mixing it with rubbing alcohol IPA, producing a thin mix. Went on the Kappa Line foam board well , and didn't cause any major problems, but when attempting to under coat with Mr Hobby white primer it just didn't cover any thing. I've since gone back to wall filler , which as you know is water soluble .

A small adage lost a part on a hard floor grab your bench light lay it on its side and shine it along the floor you'd be surprised how a small part can cast such a large shadow ,simples.Dave

Latest posts

Back