Kit Manufactures

hooterville75

How does a new scale model builder determine which manufacturer makes the best quality of a specific model ? Like say I decide that I wish to put together a Grumman F4F Wildcat. How would I decide which kit to purchase or avoid ?

Well, this here internet has thousands of kits reviews for one thing. Just type in the manufacturer and scale and look for a review. And the other is just ask on a forum. Chances are somebody on it built one of whatever your're asking about.

1/72 Academy Wildcats are cheaper and well detailed and fit nicely.

And remember, "best quality" is very subjective. There are objective criteria to apply when rating any given model, of course--for example, we can ask if he parts fit well, is it accurate, is it easy to build for a modeler basic, moderate or advanced skill, is it reasonably priced or expensive? But there is a lot of subjective content to be found. Some guys prefer this manufacturer or that, some put more value on accuracy over price, others price over parts count, in short, there will be almost as many opinions as there are modelers.

And even within a manufacturer's catalog, there can be kits that are well done, and others that are generally looked on as bad.

Gundamhead gives good advice--check the web and look for kit reviews. Many scale modeling sites have kit reviews, and generally, the authors try to be as objective as possible.

I usually Google search before I buy a new kit. Being able to do it on my phone is pretty handy. I'm not a big stickler on accuracy. I mainly want a kit that is nicely detailed and is easily assembled. A large parts count isn't that scary either as long it's not a ton of PE.

I hate to say it, but I base my kit selections on which ones have recessed panel lines. Haha. It seems that I always end up having to sand the crap out of seam lines and having to replace panel lines, surface detail etc. But I'm sure there are plenty of kits that have raised detail that are great.

Ya, Raised Panel Lines = Death! Haha. That is unless you are like some in here who can turn a 30 year old kit into a masterpiece. Not me though.

Raised panel lines--another good point to consider. Of course, neither raised nor engraved panel lines are 100% correct, for all subjects, all the time. But true, it's something else that many modelers consider when rating a kit.

Latest posts

Back