Last time

Nice work space.
Thanks. I've been thinking of building a paint booth but I'm fine with going out back and doing all my spraying. The only thing is I got to keep all the essentials close by inside because trying to spray LP paint when your airbrush has been sitting outside and it's 115° doesn't work too good usually

No such thing as a clean and tidy bench in this hobby. Won’t stay tidy for long too.

Now you need to get yourself a magnifier lamp….
My wife showed me one that she had and never used maybe like a 4 1/2 5-in Circle on a flexible cord and it lit up but I didn't like it I was just too tiny to look through I guess so I got glasses. Any suggestions on a magnifier? I'm open. Also since I got people on this thread I'm wondering what should be my next model? I'm tired of building Jets and airplanes with tons of missiles and a billion little tiny decals. I'm almost done with my Tiger tank mid-production by taycom I thought it was a good build for my first tank but there was no interior detail and I like building a whole lot. I still got to do the camouflage on the tank but I'm waiting for some Play-Doh I ordered to get here so I'm kind of fiddling around with Shirley modowney's long nose Mustang funny car. It's kind of nice to dive into a piece of crap car kit with flash everywhere and pieces that don't fit right but dang it all isn't it a whole lot of fun that's why we do this stuff. So anyways recommend a build that isn't a jet with tons of missiles and bombs. I'm tired of those things for a while. Something with a lot of pieces that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and goes together fairly decent. I'm not one to buy these aftermarket thingies but I'll keep an open mind. Although that aftermarket mask set for the f-35b? That was a godsend. That saved my sanity. So any suggestions I'm open and eager to hear some suggestions on what to build. Another tank might be in order or a helicopter but I like lots of parts.

One advice: DO NOT use PlayDoh as your masking for camo. It may leave behind stains and bits of PlayDoh - especially on Zimmert surfaces of armor kits. I highly recommend you use blue poster tack or Silly Putty instead. PlayDoh cannot be reused again and will dry out over time.

DITCH THE PLAYDOH !!!!!!!!! They have no place as masking agent for camo in this hobby. You’ll thank me later………..

Blue poster tack and Silly Putty will not dry out and can be used over and over again and still retain the tackiness without leaving stains behind after airbrushing. I’m still using the same blue poster tack from the last 8 - 10 years now. Keep it stored properly and it will last you a long time. I store my blue poster tack in a small medicine dose cup with a lid. Silly Putty can be stored in its egg container it comes in.

Well…. that rules out an F-4 Phantom. Stencil decal hell that one is. ROFL!

You can’t go wrong with any Tamiya armor and ship kits. 1/350 scale ships are going for really stupid money for them. 1/700 ships are smaller and affordable. Some can be built waterline or full hull.

Aftermarket parts can be expensive. I don’t get involved too much in them unless I have to or need it. Although Quinta has fantastic raised instrument panel decals. Masks are well worth it especially hose with greenhouse canopies of Zeroes, Helldiver, Dauntless, etc… Making and masking your own canopy with Frog yellow painter tape can be challenging and time consuming.

Why not try a new skill building a biplane kit like a Stearman kit by Revell or a 1/32 scale Academy Sopwith Camel kit and rig it with EZ line or black thread. 1/72 scale biplanes are tiny, 1/48 scale biplanes are smaller compared to a 1/48 scale WW2 fighter. 1/32 scale biplanes are a little better to work with due to their built up size equal to a 1/48 scale aircraft.

Aftermarket decals on the other hand are simply awesome! Sometimes the kit’s supplied decals are blah and you want something different. NATO Tiger Meets and Commemorative tail schemes are very attractive for jet aircrafts. I’ve got several in my stash. The best part? You don’t have to weather them or load them up with missiles/bombs and what not.
Aftermarket decals of WW2 bombers and fighters have a wide range of markings from different squadrons/bomb groups: Bloody 100th, Zodiac Liberator bombers, etc… WW2 fighters like Tuskegee Red Tails, Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney, Zemke’s squadron, etc…

Auto kits are fun builds too. Tamiya auto kits are expensive. I like MPC and Monogram kits personally. Revell aren’t too bad either. AMT can go either way depending on the kit. Make sure you don’t toss any spare parts/tires/ rims/wheel backs. Save them all. Once you save a bunch of different parts, you can reuse them to customize/kit bash any kit anyway you want. Auto aftermarket stuff are worth it if you want to enhance the engine with distributor with wires, custom rims, complete engines, etc…

Maybe you want to try your hand on an big rig with or without a trailer. Maybe a fire truck kit or a motorcycle kit. There’s something for everyone.

My magnifyer lamp is about 5 inches diameter and it suits me just fine. Had it for 10 years now. Just replaced the bulb a week or so ago.

I’d love to get a bigger diameter one someday but it’s not my first priority at the moment. Try finding them at JoAnn Fabrics, Hobby Lobby, Michael’s, Harbor Freight.
OttLight magnifiers are very good and are around $80 or so. ULINE online store has nice LED ones too and are crazy expensive - starting at $190 upwards to $230.

https://www.uline.com/BL_2082/LED-Illuminated-Magnifier

https://www.uline.com/BL_2918/Multi-Lens-LED-Magnifiers

One advice: DO NOT use PlayDoh as your masking for camo. It may leave behind stains and bits of PlayDoh - especially on Zimmert surfaces of armor kits. I highly recommend you use blue poster tack or Silly Putty instead. PlayDoh cannot be reused again and will dry out over time.

DITCH THE PLAYDOH !!!!!!!!! They have no place as masking agent for camo in this hobby. You’ll thank me later………..

Blue poster tack and Silly Putty will not dry out and can be used over and over again and still retain the tackiness without leaving stains behind after airbrushing. I’m still using the same blue poster tack from the last 8 - 10 years now. Keep it stored properly and it will last you a long time. I store my blue poster tack in a small medicine dose cup with a lid. Silly Putty can be stored in its egg container it comes in.

Well…. that rules out an F-4 Phantom. Stencil decal hell that one is. ROFL!

You can’t go wrong with any Tamiya armor and ship kits. 1/350 scale ships are going for really stupid money for them. 1/700 ships are smaller and affordable. Some can be built waterline or full hull.

Aftermarket parts can be expensive. I don’t get involved too much in them unless I have to or need it. Although Quinta has fantastic raised instrument panel decals. Masks are well worth it especially hose with greenhouse canopies of Zeroes, Helldiver, Dauntless, etc… Making and masking your own canopy with Frog yellow painter tape can be challenging and time consuming.

Why not try a new skill building a biplane kit like a Stearman kit by Revell or a 1/32 scale Academy Sopwith Camel kit and rig it with EZ line or black thread. 1/72 scale biplanes are tiny, 1/48 scale biplanes are smaller compared to a 1/48 scale WW2 fighter. 1/32 scale biplanes are a little better to work with due to their built up size equal to a 1/48 scale aircraft.

Aftermarket decals on the other hand are simply awesome! Sometimes the kit’s supplied decals are blah and you want something different. NATO Tiger Meets and Commemorative tail schemes are very attractive for jet aircrafts. I’ve got several in my stash. The best part? You don’t have to weather them or load them up with missiles/bombs and what not.
Aftermarket decals of WW2 bombers and fighters have a wide range of markings from different squadrons/bomb groups: Bloody 100th, Zodiac Liberator bombers, etc… WW2 fighters like Tuskegee Red Tails, Blue Nosed Bastards of Bodney, Zemke’s squadron, etc…

Auto kits are fun builds too. Tamiya auto kits are expensive. I like MPC and Monogram kits personally. Revell aren’t too bad either. AMT can go either way depending on the kit. Make sure you don’t toss any spare parts/tires/ rims/wheel backs. Save them all. Once you save a bunch of different parts, you can reuse them to customize/kit bash any kit anyway you want. Auto aftermarket stuff are worth it if you want to enhance the engine with distributor with wires, custom rims, complete engines, etc…

Maybe you want to try your hand on an big rig with or without a trailer. Maybe a fire truck kit or a motorcycle kit. There’s something for everyone.
Okay. Stand still. Take a deep breath. Deeper. There you go. Thanks for the input. Yeah I've built the F4 Phantom by Revel. Actually came out nice. Most of my planes before covid were 132nd but now prices have skyrocketed so 148 is just fine with me. Biplanes? You know I've been looking at that Revel fairy swordfish. It seems like it'd be a pretty cool build. On the subject of Play-Doh? I think that would make an okay item to use for camouflage. I mean I wasn't thinking of squeezing it into every nook and cranny of the zimmerite. And yes blue tack is some great stuff. But maybe a little stiff for camouflage? Anyways. I'll make it work. I think it's going to be something in armor just a little more jazzed up

Too stiff for camo scheme? Nope. Keep rolling the blue stuff until you get it soft. Then it will be more pliable to use. If you’re concerned about sharp lines of camo scheme, airbrush it freehand with a dual action airbrush.

The reason I advise against using PlayDoh is because no one uses that stuff or never heard of anyone using it either. I’ve been building model kits for over 50 years so I should know PlayDoh is not recommended. You’ll thank me later.

But hey, I guess you’ll have to learn the hard way. You do know PlayDoh is sold at Walmart or Target, right? Had to laugh when you mentioned you ordered PlayDoh.

Not trying to be an @$$hole, but you did ask for advice or input and I gave it.
And no, I don’t need to stand still and take a deep breath either. My tone is not meant to be rude. Today, folks seem to react offended by anything posted nowadays. Man up. I don’t have time to coddle and worry whether feelings and opinions are offensive. Dealt with enough woke liberal softies by the masses these last 4 years.

Too stiff for camo scheme? Nope. Keep rolling the blue stuff until you get it soft. Then it will be more pliable to use. If you’re concerned about sharp lines of camo scheme, airbrush it freehand with a dual action airbrush.

The reason I advise against using PlayDoh is because no one uses that stuff or never heard of anyone using it either. I’ve been building model kits for over 50 years so I should know PlayDoh is not recommended. You’ll thank me later.

But hey, I guess you’ll have to learn the hard way. You do know PlayDoh is sold at Walmart or Target, right? Had to laugh when you mentioned you ordered PlayDoh.

Not trying to be an @$$hole, but you did ask for advice or input and I gave it.
And no, I don’t need to stand still and take a deep breath either. My tone is not meant to be rude. Today, folks seem to react offended by anything posted nowadays. Man up. I don’t have time to coddle and worry whether feelings and opinions are offensive. Dealt with enough woke liberal softies by the masses these last 4 years.

Actually, I asked for advice on what should be my next model. I don't think I asked for advice on how to build the damn things. And don't worry, you're not talking to a liberal, you're talking to a patriot. In fact, asshole, I was a bomb Tech technician and I lost both my legs so next time you want to open your mouth and start spouting off shit that you don't have time for liberals and pansy ass Nancy's, why don't you use your head and think a little bit because that's what we're missing nowadays common sense and it doesn't seem you have much. Good day sir

My wife showed me one that she had and never used maybe like a 4 1/2 5-in Circle on a flexible cord and it lit up but I didn't like it I was just too tiny to look through I guess so I got glasses. Any suggestions on a magnifier? I'm open. Also since I got people on this thread I'm wondering what should be my next model? I'm tired of building Jets and airplanes with tons of missiles and a billion little tiny decals. I'm almost done with my Tiger tank mid-production by taycom I thought it was a good build for my first tank but there was no interior detail and I like building a whole lot. I still got to do the camouflage on the tank but I'm waiting for some Play-Doh I ordered to get here so I'm kind of fiddling around with Shirley modowney's long nose Mustang funny car. It's kind of nice to dive into a piece of crap car kit with flash everywhere and pieces that don't fit right but dang it all isn't it a whole lot of fun that's why we do this stuff. So anyways recommend a build that isn't a jet with tons of missiles and bombs. I'm tired of those things for a while. Something with a lot of pieces that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and goes together fairly decent. I'm not one to buy these aftermarket thingies but I'll keep an open mind. Although that aftermarket mask set for the f-35b? That was a godsend. That saved my sanity. So any suggestions I'm open and eager to hear some suggestions on what to build. Another tank might be in order or a helicopter but I like lots of parts.
How about a warship, lot's of guns but something different to think about.

If you fancy something smaller and affordable then I suggest the revell PT boat that I have just built. Really enjoyed it. Pantherman
20240616_143107.jpg20240616_143220.jpg20240616_143135.jpg

That's a great idea. Thanks. I thought of doing another Battleship but there's no room if I keep building models the way I'm doing.

Thank you for your service.
I second the suggestion of a ship, I've got 4 in the stash: Missouri (WWII), King George V, Bismarck, and the Indianapolis. All 1/350.

Thank you for your service.
I second the suggestion of a ship, I've got 4 in the stash: Missouri (WWII), King George V, Bismarck, and the Indianapolis. All 1/350.
I have a confession to make. I've never been in the service. In fact, there's pictures in here of my last build, the F-35, showing that I have both my feet, thus both my legs. The reason I said it is he struck a nerve in me and I had to respond. My old boss played that prank on me about no legs on his sister and I felt like an idiot because I opened my mouth and said shit I shouldn't have said. I apologize. Perhaps that was too harsh on the guy. But he should be happy that the Play-Doh was delivered the other day and I didn't get it in time so a porch pirate stole it with me at home, so I went and found some Silly Putty. Hehe

20240624_203017.jpg

I have a confession to make. I've never been in the service. In fact, there's pictures in here of my last build, the F-35, showing that I have both my feet, thus both my legs. The reason I said it is he struck a nerve in me and I had to respond. My old boss played that prank on me about no legs on his sister and I felt like an idiot because I opened my mouth and said shit I shouldn't have said. I apologize. Perhaps that was too harsh on the guy. But he should be happy that the Play-Doh was delivered the other day and I didn't get it in time so a porch pirate stole it with me at home, so I went and found some Silly Putty. Hehe

View attachment 118931
Well, let's see how it works.

Actually, I asked for advice on what should be my next model. I don't think I asked for advice on how to build the damn things. And don't worry, you're not talking to a liberal, you're talking to a patriot. In fact, asshole, I was a bomb Tech technician and I lost both my legs so next time you want to open your mouth and start spouting off shit that you don't have time for liberals and pansy ass Nancy's, why don't you use your head and think a little bit because that's what we're missing nowadays common sense and it doesn't seem you have much. Good day sir
Nice. Congratulations and you’re welcome. I know I’m an @$$hole - ask my wife since she calls me a lovable @$$hole. As my co-workers, they’ll tell you I’m the resident @$$hole. I’ve been called every name in the book. I can take it. Don’t matter to me.

I’m not one to tell you how to build your models. I simply pointed out why you shouldn’t use PlayDoh. But hey, you want to use PlayDoh, go ahead. Just don’t complain if it leaves behind shadow drops from the oils left behind once you take them off. A good day to you too… Sir! ROFLMAO!

Nice. Congratulations and you’re welcome. I know I’m an @$$hole - ask my wife since she calls me a lovable @$$hole. As my co-workers, they’ll tell you I’m the resident @$$hole. I’ve been called every name in the book. I can take it. Don’t matter to me.

I’m not one to tell you how to build your models. I simply pointed out why you shouldn’t use PlayDoh. But hey, you want to use PlayDoh, go ahead. Just don’t complain if it leaves behind shadow drops from the oils left behind once you take them off. A good day to you too… Sir! ROFLMAO!
What? It's getting crowded around here. Hell I thought I was the only asshole around here. It's good to see someone with some thick skin. I'm getting real tired of this Dei bullshit going on in this clown show of the current Administration. It's good to have someone with some red white and blue balls. Yeah I'm glad the Play-Doh got stolen cuz I was thinking about it and I remembered how as a kid it would always get stuck on things. Little smears of Play-Doh here and there especially in the carpet so I fired the Play-Doh and got some Silly Putty. I said good day..

Latest posts

Back