Layering/paint type/technique?

EZoolander

Hello!

I'm in the planning stages on how to paint this Battlestar Galactica model I'm working on - and hoping for some input because I'm likely going to end up layering different kinds of paints.

Here's something kind of like the look I'm trying to achieve:

1718107497057.png

I've put the underlaying iron color on down already

1000005950.jpg

But I'm not 100% sure how to start on the paneling.

I don't think I can mask it properly to spray large areas, but I probably could mask off individual sections and do it incrementally, touching up by hand.

Or do you think it would be better done by hand?

My concern with hand painting is excess paint making panel lines more difficult...

What would you do? lol

1000005949.jpg

Me personally I would paint by hand in thin layers until you are happy with the looks. The thin layers won't obscure the details, but it does take longer to do.

Awesome build! What paint are you using? Acrylics? Masking would be time consuming or you could also try liquid masking before laying down the base color - also time consuming.
either way it's gonna take a lot of time to match that look you're going for.

If using mild paints, I think you could apply masks very quickly with post-it notes to get some colors on those panels. I've not painted anything sci-fi since I did an X-wing back in 1979, but it looks like you have nice raised areas around those panels that would let the post-its work for you.

Post-it notes will not save money, but they could be a super-fast way of masking out a few hundred rectangles without going nuts. You'll need scissors of course :)

Latest posts

Back